Need microscopes and lab equipment for future BRS meeting/workshop

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Professor Cathy McFadden will be here in Boston to speak at our April 27th BRS meeting (the is the meeting AFTER the auction meeting). She'll be giving a talk on soft coral identification, but we are also hoping to hold a hands on workshop for soft coral identification. Unfortunately, to do so we will need to get our hands on some equipment. The club cannot purchase this equipment for a one time workshop, so we need your help. In discussing plans for the workshop Prof. McFadden has listed the following equipment as useful for our workshop:

1. Binocular dissecting microscopes - 25-40X - it'd be great to have at least three available

2. Compound microscope - 100-400X - again 2-3 would be nice

3. Needle-nosed tweezers or #5 forceps - 3 or so would be nice

4. If any of the microscopes could be instrumented with a digital video camera or some such device and could then be displayed on our BRS projector and screen, that would be great for demonstration purposes.

Can anyone come up with any of this equipment for our meeting? Please let me know. Post below or shoot me a PM.

I have a Swift binocular dissecting scope I can lend, but the eyepieces are only 10x so I think the max magnification would be 20x with it.

I won't be able to make that meeting, but I could drop it off sometime before the meeting when I'm in the Wakefield area. Let me know if it's needed.

Callie is getting a microscope for her birthday - if it arrives on time, we could bring it to the meeting.

Greg,
I can probably get you everything you need via BU's marine program, I just need to check and make sure that I can take the scopes off campus. I should be able to get one research grade dissecting scope with a camera. The camera is even HD. The dissecting scopes, compound scopes and the forceps shouldnt be a problem for me to get. The one thing is I dont have any fiber optic lights for the dissecting scopes. I should know for sure if I can take them to the meeting later this week. I will let you know around wednesday or thursday.
-Justin

Justin,

That's fantastic. Please keep in touch as you find out the details.

Justin,

That is really great. Thanks for stepping up for the club. Should be a really fun workshop.

Back