Need rewiring help - DE Metal halide ballast

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
One of my old electronic IceCap ballasts for my 250 W double ended metal halide lamp gave up the ghost. I picked up a used Coralife ballast from a fellow Boston Reefer, but I'm having a little trouble wiring it in to my lamp. The old IceCap ballast had a simple wiring diagram on it and it was clear that there were two wires that went to the lamp and I don't think it mattered which wire went to which lead.

However, the Coralife ballast has three separate wires that were going to the bulb. There is a small wiring socket on the outside of the ballast that the cord to the old fixture used to plug into. I've opened up the case, and it's no problem to remove the wires from the wiring socket and splice them into the wires of my light fixture, but which of the two wires should I use? The three wires going to the socket are:

1. Brown color, labeled B (and then some Chinese character)
2. White color, labeled COM
3. Black wire that is coming from the switch that can be used to turn the ballast on and off.

IDEAs? ballast wiring diagram.jpg

Well, took a goodly long time to read through that thread, but I thank you for the pointer to it.

Bad news is this ballast will not work. Need to have an 'ignitor' which on the Coralife fixtures of this type is in the fixture itself. So I'm back to square one.

Back