Need to remove Flame Angel, anyone?

Armando

v 4.0
Any fish removal experts in the club?

My super beautiful Flame Angel has become a TERROR (not against corals but against other fish) and has to go :(

I saw a flame angel this week they are super beautiful but I read they are not reef safe.

They are a very nice fish, just a very big chance to take with expensive corals...I really want one but am not going to chance it.

this guy has NOT touched my corals. he's just being aggresive with other fish. i have him for a year now.

aha24 said:
I saw a flame angel this week they are super beautiful but I read they are not reef safe.

I recently got one. he is pretty small. He hasn't touch any softies yet but he is nipping on my few SPS.

Piscevore said:
really!? Don't say that Shoeib ;) (you are bursting my bubble)

This is the second one i have. I also had one few years ago and he was a nipper as well :mad:. I haven't noticed him nipping that much but after he died (powerhead accident :( ) my sps did really good. Before i wasn't seeing much polyp extension but after his absense they were open most of the time.

It's 50/50 and it depends upon the individual fish. i know many people have them in their reef without any issues but so far both in my case are sps nippers.

I would love to have one but on a 50/50 chance and knowing what it would take to catch it after its put in. Man I am thinking I will eventually need another tank

Okay, I have a Flame Angel, and have had him for a little over 6months. I also had a Coral Beauty for several years in my previous system. Basically, the Coral Beauty never touched anything, and so far, the Flame Angel in my new system hasn't expressed interest in anything.

I actually have a collection of marginally reef safe fish: A Majestic Angel, A Copperbanded Butterfly, and a Flame Angel. Life isn't interesting unless you walk the edge, right?

Anyhow, the Majestic Angel and the Copperbanded Butterfly have picked here and there, but I keep SPS, which are of less interest to them, and in each case, it was as simply as removing the objectionable coral. Over the months, they never "moved on" to another coral.

Both the CBB and the Majestic Angel also bothered (but didn't eat) my T. crocea clam, and so the clam sadly had to go for its health. They never showed any interest in my T. squamosa
  • Certain corals are less likely to be bothered than other corals, so you may plan your tank around corals less likely to be bothered. Yes, certain fish are wholly reef unsafe (parrotfish) and will eat any and all corals, but usually these marginally reef safe fish (Angelfish and Butterfly fish) will go from just bothereing to consuming certain corals but not others.
  • If you are like me, and not attached to any one coral in your system (as long as the others are okay), then you always have the option of getting rid of that one coral they bother. I have not observed them to "move on".
Many reefkeepers have kept Flame Angelfish, just be sure that you know that you are running a risk.

Matt:cool:

So when everyone says it is hit and miss, it is just that. Some things to consider are that certain corals are:
less likely

My new flame angel is in my softie tank. So far i have only few frags of zoa's, mushrooms, leathers and ricordias. I also have two sps frag from my last reef setup. So far this flame angel is only nipping on sps and leaves softie's alone.
I also got juvenile emperor angel. I do know the risk of him eating corals but i am prepared and i don't mind him eating these softie frags. From what i have read they leave leathers and mushrooms alone as they are kind of noxius corals.
As Matt said, you can remove few corals if he specifically likes those or just don't take a risk. May be you can get one from local member if he is proven not to bother any corals. They are beautiful fish.

Back