New folks from Providence, RI

TheBigDrewsky

BRS Member
Hello,

Just wanted to drop a short note of introduction. Just joined BRS over the weekend. My partner (MacAngelo) and I have been interested in reef systems and only in the past few weeks have we been serious about moving forward. We met a few great people at Sea Creature Aquarium last week and looking forward to getting to know more people as time permits.

I work in healthcare (Pawtucket area) and MacAngelo is a tattoo artist working in a shop in Warwick. We have 2 mini schnauzers, a couple of cats, and now looking to add a nice reef tank to the house.

We have done some initial looking around and have begun to realize that the costs associated with just starting up a reef tank are enormous so we are taking things slowly...we're hoping to get lucky one of these days and be "first responders" to ads in which people are selling entire systems...looks like that is pretty much luck of the draw...

Ultimately, I think we'd like to get to a 150 gallon tank, but we arent opposed to starting smaller (75-90) and working our way up from there. Ideally, we enjoy both chorals and anemones so looks like 2 tanks will be the way to go in the future. However, we're still trying to get used to the reefer lingo like "Zo's", "SPS", "LPS", "T-5s", etc. It's all a bit confusing but we'll get there.

Hope to meet some of you out there that are reasonably close by in the future, but are willing to travel outside the Providence area to see (or buy) some good stuff.

It's been great so far!

Congrats on joining the site. There are a lot of good deals and even better brains on the site. Once your all set up let me know im sure i have some stuff i can contribute to the cause. Dont be afraid to post in the WTB (want to buy) forum with what your looking for.

I am looking to get some more tattoo work done so maybe we can do some frags or equipment for ink but who knows?

welcome to the BRS, if you havent been i would stop by something fishy on jefferson blvd in warwick. they have a great selection of stuff and the staff is very knowledgable.

Thanks for the welcome. What's your take on the bowfront? I initially wanted a BF but have been recently talked out of it...Some folks say thay are great, others say you can not get decent lighting with a bowfront. Any opinion you'd like to add to the fray?

if i didnt get mine for $20 i wouldnt have one... i think the bow distorts the view of things inside the tank too much. some people like em, they looks really good, but i'd rather be able to see inside the tank a lil easier. Can't really see anything looking through the front glass at an angle, and the biggest sump that fits in the stand is a 29H, which leaves absolutely no room for anything else. theres a few members selling tanks right now, i would get what you want the 1st time around, look in the photography forum and check out all the full tank shots, see what you like better then go from there. GL in the quest for a tank! check out craigslist.com as well, can find some good deals on there sometimes.

Thanks for the welcome. What's your take on the bowfront? I initially wanted a BF but have been recently talked out of it...Some folks say thay are great, others say you can not get decent lighting with a bowfront. Any opinion you'd like to add to the fray?

I rock a 155 gal bow front and love it. I run three MH pendant type lights over the tank. 175watts on both ends and a 250 in the middle. The bowfront is a really cool tank and gets you away from the norm of rectangles. Its probably a little drive but your more then welcome to come down and check it out.

here is a link to a thread with some pictures:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66460

just went to craigslist real quick, theres a whole bunch of tanks in RI for sale from 55 gallon 72bf, 75, 90, 125, 135, 150, 275 etc.

just remember the bigger you go the more you'll have to spend on pumps, skimmer, lights, rocks/sand, etc.

welcome4.gif

to BRS and the hobby! Sounds like you are on the right track with planning, asking questions, etc. There are so many knowledgeable people on here and a lot of great deals on equipment. You are definitely in the right place. Good luck!

Welcome to BRS
I am a short distance down the road from Johnny's ( sea Creatures) Always open to helping a fellow RI er on the ups and downs of a reef tank ;)
Dawn

Back