New guy just moved here

step johns

Non-member
Hey guys, im stephen and i jsut moved to Massachusetts from Southern California a few weeks ago. I had saltwater tanks before the move for about two to three years. Im looking to get back in to it but am having trouble finding any pet stores in my area (live in Adams, MA). But yeah i look forward to being apart of this forum and to getting back in to the hobby.

Previous tanks i have owned were a 25 gallon solana -http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?83677-My-solana
60 cube, 34 solana, 60 reg. , and a 29 gallon. (I had the bug bad back in california heh.)

welcome,

Unfortunately you are out in the boonies so you're going to have to do some driving to hit the good LFSs.

IIRC there used to be an OK store in the springfield area, but I don't know if they are still around or the exact name or location. Hopefully someone else can pipe in with more on that.

Moving a little farther east is Krystal clear aquatics in Auburn Ma, just off Rt290.
Next stop to the east would be tropic isle in framingham ma, VERY expensive dry goods, good fish selection and OK coral selection.

Head to southern NH and you can hit 3 stores in salem NH, Aqua addicts, Jays aquatics and oceans in glass, all within a 10 min drive from each other. I don't know oceans very well personally, but I can say that both Aqua addicts and Jays have great prices for LFSs, and both usually have a good selection of livestock and dry goods.

Coming soon, and even farther east and a little north is unique reptile and aquaria soon to open in their new location in woburn ma. Expect a high end store that's shooting to really be something special. *hours will be limited, call before you drive. IIRC they are opening in about a month.

Also very worth mentioning, but also very far away is coral reef aquarium in seekonk ma.

Thank for the warm welcome. Also i forgot to mention that i am going to be looking for a 40 breeder as my first set up so will be looking to the forums for that. (only one petco close to me and they dont even carry tanks larger than 29 gallons so will have to make a drive for it no matter)

Also another thing that i forgot. How much weight can older houses support? House is circa the 1880's or 90's and im looking to but an aquarium on the second floor. But im very nervous about it and am thinking i may just go for putting it in the cellar, but am looking for some input

You're in Adams ma, you'll have to drive a bit to find a petco let alone
a real saltwater store :)

Welcome aboard, I just had to google to figure out where Adams was lol. But all joking aside looking at the map and how far west you are I'm wondering if there are any good lfs in Albany since it looks like you are somewhat closer to them.

So Google'ing has come up with two in the Albany area, i wonder if anyone knows anything about them. One is Davey Jones Locker in Albany, and the other is Union Aquarium in Schenectady.

Welcome to MA! I too moved from here from California. Sorry I can't be of much help as far as Albany aquariums go! Good luck in your search!

Back