new guy need help --> adding fish

ahmer1781

Non-member
40 gallon setup, 55 lbs live rock on top got from some dude running nice tank, 10 lbs live sand, 60 lbs aragonite, 25 gallon sump/refuge on bottom with algae and light, also many critters in the tank (hermits, some snails, porcelin crabs and a serpent sea star...)

now the question, i went to Skipton's and now i'm adding 4 chromis as my first fish and also bought some sand sifting snails and hermits, do i have to wash the snails and crabs or just throw them in?

the next question, with the chromis can i just dip them in freshwater and then throw em in? what suggestions do u guys have? since i'm new i cant really quarantine cuz i dont have another tank... :(

Thanks a bunch.

Ahmer

If you can not QT them then I would drip aclimate them. Make sure the SG and temp are the same. As for snails and crabs I give them a quicker aclimation, SG and temp. then throw em in and try not to add shop water

Obviously you should always QT, but if you're like me and don't have a decent QT setup, then your next best bet is finding an LFS (or fellow reefers) you can trust. And you have done that. Skipton's is very good about treating and observing all incoming fish for a while before selling.

Have you bought the chromis yet? I have six and want to take out 4 of them.
Would be happy to give you some. They have been in the tank for about six months. They are about 3-4" and are aggressive eaters of any food.

I'm at a school in Newton, MA Pickup could be in the afternoon after 1 or I could arrange to meet some evening in July.
Tom

Back