New guy

busajd

Non-member
Looking to start a salt water tank. I have had a fresh water tank for a long time now but just love the look of salt water fish. I have been asking around and trying to figure out what I need to start. I am doing live rock and fish to start. I am thinking a 75g corner overflow but have no idea what else I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the club. My advice would be to visit a couple members homes to view their tank and talk reef. Where abouts are you located?

welcome new guy... are you thinking of keeping any corals or just some fish ? you will need a good light source if you want some corals, depending on corals wated will determain type of lighting. make sure you use a RODI filter for your make up slatwater and top-off water, if you skimp here you will probly have issues with phosphates. also a good skimmer will be key. remeber that if you skimp in the front it will bite you in the rear! i made these mistakes when i started. good luck and remember we love pics

I am in Marlborough Ma. I think I will start with just live rock and fish untill I am comfortable and have a better grasp on everything. I dont want to rush it.

Last edited:
Patience in this hobby is a good thing. Get used to the fish and then move to corals later. There are challanges with both.

First off Welcome to BRS!!

Like mentioned above if you can spend the money start with good equipment. You say you want just fish and you might be able to hold back but for most of us that was a challenge. Lets assume you plan to go with coral later on. You need a lighting source T5 is great but power compacts are a bit cheaper but something you will upgrade if you continue. A skimmer is a must have. You mentioned overflow so Ill assume its a RR(reef ready or drilled tank) if so you'll need a sump and an in sump skimmer. I like sand for my substrate. Crush coral or gravel can become a nightmare. Ro/di water is important. Patience which will be said 1 million times when talking to anyone here. Even when setting up your tank the fish shouldn't be added for at least a month or when the tank has cycled.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask anything and research everything!!

Thank you for the help Scotty. I am sure I will get into coral later on but feel it would be better to start as simple as possible until i learn more about it.

Welcome aboard! I would suggest reading like crazy in the forums. I can always fine the info I need. It seems some out there has had similar experiences.

WelcomeBRS5.jpg

Also remember to do some research re what types of fish will be compatible with the types of corals you might want to keep. Many Angels are likely to chomp away.

Back