new here

reefsane88

Non-member
hey just intruducing my self im josh im in lowell ma probly the newest newb here been in to fish for a couple years but last year i just went salt trying to get into the reef hard and go diving 1 day currently have a 65 gallon pennplax canister koralia pwr heads and double t5 lighting eventually the sump skimmer and rodi

Welcome to the BRS!

If you're trying to seriously get into corals I would start by getting an rodi unit ASAP and changing your water a few times before adding anything. I know its somewhat possible to keep some coral in non-rodi water but you'll be much better off in the long run. Also i would try and get a light fixture with more bulbs if you're going to keep anything with higher lighting requirements. Better to have the right equipment before you start investing in things like corals. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Also what are you running in your canister? Is your tank drilled with an overflow? Do you have a sump? How many pounds of live rock do you have in your tank? Do you have a sandbed and if so how deep is it? What model koralia powerhead are you using? Do you have anything in your tank currently and what are you feeding them?

Welcome to the club. Try to get to a meeting so we can put a face with the posts. OH Yah we love Pictures

thanx evry one for advice corals are the last step for me yes to a rodi unit and upgraded lighting. for fish 2 clwns eating flakes shrimp and thera and for my bed i have the crushed coral live aroganite i believe i have about evry test kit and have no idea what some of them are for lol but im in the rite place and a quick learner i just have to learn to be patient now the tank is a corner tank around 30 gallons and live rock i have like 50 pounds for filter ac 70 pennplax i got riddof investing on a hang on skimmer and sump small 1 though if ne one wants to pm some dos and donts ill apprecite that also new to corals but not fish i have kept some of the hardest fish in the ocean with no issues and last but not least th you brs since ive got here i have sold fish recieved feedback and a free tank complete from hood to stand some cheato amd im grateful

Hi,

Welcome! One of the best things you can do as a reefkeeper is to constantly learn about the animals under your care. This website is a great resource but ideally, you should draw from many other sources. Some really great reef books have come out in the past few years. More than any other source, they can provide the kind of depth and scope that will be very helpful as you begin reefkeeping. Listed below are some really great books, most of which should be available through your public library or from the BRS' own library (which you'll have access to if you join as a full member).

1. Corals: by E. Borneman
2. Reef Invertebrates: by Calfo and Fenner
3. The Reef Aquarium Series: by Delbeek and Sprung
4. The New Marine Aquarium: By Paletta
5. Natural Reef Aquariums: By Tullock

Good luck and welcome!

Back