New (kinda) build thread

wdebenedettojr

BRS Member
So i have hardly been on here for about 8 months or so and finally getting back into the tank. Last september my girlfriend and I decided it was time to buy a house so after about 4-5 months we finally moved into our new home and are settling in nicely. During that time i really neglected the tank because of obvious reasons surrounding the house. During the time of serious neglect i only lost one of my acro colonies which wasnt to bad. However when it came to actually moving the tank about a month ago thats a whole other story....

Lets start from when our offer was accepted on the house and we knew we were actually moving....

Since we knew we were definitely moving i figured why not take this time to upgrade my system right?:) So my old stand and canopy was a production Sedona Series model (about 10 years old) and i absolutely hated its design. Because the stand (i have a 90 gallon) was so small my sump was tiny and i could not get a decent size skimmer to fit because of the height. I had a 20gallon high as my sump and a ASM G1 as my skimmer. For what it was, the ASM worked awesome but i wanted to upgrade.

First thing was to get a new stand and canopy built. After talking to a few people on here, i managed to get in touch with a member (calciumbuff), Jim, and started working with him on the new stand and canopy. I knew a few people on here that had used him before and saw in person his skill in designing these pieces so i was confident in choosing him. So a few weeks before closing gf and i drove way down to jims house and spoke with him and his wife regarding our design. He had many options to show us but i was pretty set on a design i had seen from another member. I wanted the stand to have doors on the side as well as one large opening in the front for ease of access when needed to service the system. Gf and I settled on a style, wood type (maple), and finish where Jim started building. Few weeks into the building process Jim sent many pictures to show progress and get my approval. Jim even met my short time frame for completion which was awesome and he delivered the furniture to my house for me shortly after closing. Jims craftsmanship is awesome and you can tell he spent tons of time building. Pictures at the end to show how nice it is. I would highly recommend him for anyone looking to have a custom piece made.

Few weeks prior to moving the tank i got to start picking out my new filtration system. After doing a bunch of reading online I had settled on upgrading my skimmer to the Vertex Omega 180i skimmer. I have been in the hobby for almost 15 years now I can confidently say this skimmer is the best skimmer i have ever used/sold/installed/seen. The build quality is phenomenal, pump is silent, and it almost immediately started pulling crap out of the water. My GF always yells at me every time i clean the skimmer because of how bad it smells. I will say this skimmer is very sensitive to water level changing so I would say that is the only flaw in this skimmer. However i would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a new skimmer. I decided on the Trigger System Emerald Series 34 model sump because of its adjustability. Its well made and so far i love all the space it provides. I love the fact that it has the space built in for a refugium. I would also strongly recommend this sump to anyone looking for all its features. I kept my pump the same (mag 7).i also have a BRS GFO/Carbon reactor on the system. For dosing i am reusing the Pacific Sun Kore doser which is awesome. I bought the mount that Pacsun offers for it and mounted it inside the new stand which looks pretty cool. I am also using the ecotech mp 40 QD power heads; i use two of them. For lighting i use a pacific sun hyperion s with a t5 retro fit kit. I also use an apex with the eco tech modules to control my equipment; must have for any serious reefer.

Now fast forward to moving the tank day. This is a day any serious reefer hates to do; taking the tank down and moving. Long story short during the move i lost 90% of my SPS pieces. My orange cap, red planet, pink lemonade, Blue Oregon Tort, $500 Efflo, Strawberry shortcake, bubblegum Mili, purple passion, almost all of my blue stylo (managed to save a few pieces), red dragon, ice fire echinata. I also lost my gold torch, green torch, rainbow acan colony, mixed zoas, and a big lobo colony. To say the least i was very bummed out considering all these pieces were growing very well. For fish i lost my lawnmower blenny and leopard wrasses but my yellow coris and purple tang were fine. I brought my blue hippo tang, clowns, and anthias, back to a LFS for credit because they were all becoming very aggressive and figured now was the time to do it. When I was reassembling the tank on moving day i left out about 30% of the live rock i had to make a more "open" look to the tank and allow more swimming room for the fish. Overall i think it was a smart decision for not adding all the live rock, i really enjoy the more open look now.

Since the move, the tank has stabilized well and i have begun to replace my old SPS pieces along with a few new ones. I also have added a beautiful Hawaiian Blonde Naso Tang, another pair of leopard wrasses, beautiful Potters angel, and another lawnmower blenny. Surprisingly the Naso and purple tang did not fight once and look to be best friends. Potters hasn't touch a piece of coral yet either *knock on wood*. Overall i think everything is doing well now and hopefully everything starts growing big again! I have added some pictures of the build thus far. I am working on getting a better camera to take some actual coral pictures and will upload soon. I still have to do a little bit of cleaning up with all the wires to make it look a little neater but its coming along. Let me know what you think

Thanks,
Bill FullSizeRender-1.jpgIMG_6064.JPGIMG_6061.JPGIMG_6060.JPGIMG_6057.JPGIMG_6056.JPGIMG_5825.JPGIMG_5820.JPGIMG_5818.JPGFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender-3.jpgFullSizeRender-2.jpgIMG_6066.JPG

Sweet set-up! Sorry to lear about all of your losses, it's never fun loosing livestock. I'm sure what is left will recover and thrive once things settle in. Looking forward to to seeing it progress.

Nice update. The stand/canopy/sump are sweet! Too bad about the losses during the move. Any idea what went wrong?

I love Potter's angels. Hope he does well and continues to be a good Reef dweller.

Really nice!......very well made! I am in my own little re-boot right now too.
Looking forward to following along.

Nice setup. Sorry to hear about your losses. I agree completely on the Vertex Omega 180i skimmer. I love that skimmer! Since upgrading, It's too small for my new setup, but I decided to hold on to it anyway in case of an emergency. I stepped up to the Vertex Alpha 200, but can honestly say I like the Omega 180i better (and it costs half as much).

I went through the same thing last fall moving my tank, lost all my fish and coral (over 40 colonies). Like you, I decided since I was starting fresh I was going to change a few things. No build thread for me, but I went from a 120 to a 210. Just started adding coral again this past week. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Excellent!!
I can understand the stress of moving into a new home and setting up a new tank. The fear of losing livestock is one of the reason why I haven't done anything with the new tank which is still in the crate.
I have the Omega 150 and love it as well. Solid skimmer. The service is also top notch as well. I had the misfortune of having to contact them for a broken impeller. John sent me a whole pump assembly immediately and told me to replace whatever parts necessary and ship back the parts I don't need and he'll just charge me accordingly.
The wood work on the stand is excellent.

Nice update. The stand/canopy/sump are sweet! Too bad about the losses during the move. Any idea what went wrong?

I love Potter's angels. Hope he does well and continues to be a good Reef dweller.

I honestly believe they just got to cold. Really stinks. So far the potters is going strong!

Don't you just love it when everything is just new and clean.

Good Luck! with the build

Looks great guys, Sorry about the rough start, Tank moves are stressful. Looks great all together good luck with everything! PS ( Thanks for the kind words :)
)

Congrats, looks like a great setup. I'm impressed how much you have in your canopy - looks like an EB8, lighting, and the Vortech controllers? That's a good idea.

I mounted my vortech controllers in the back of my cabinet and they were such a pain to get to and use.

Congrats, looks like a great setup. I'm impressed how much you have in your canopy - looks like an EB8, lighting, and the Vortech controllers? That's a good idea.

I mounted my vortech controllers in the back of my cabinet and they were such a pain to get to and use.

Actually it is mounted in my cabinet. The vortech controllers are mounted to the side doors and the other pieces are mount in the back and side.

Looks great bill! Sorry to hear about the acro loss and the leopards :(

So it's been a year since I updated this and unfortunately not good news to report.

Back in late summer last year I got some coral pieces that had a little bit of what I thought was hair algae on them, maybe some bryopsis. I scrubbed it off and let it sit separately for a few days and saw nothing grow back. That I believe was in late august early September. Well come October last year my tank got over taken by bryopsis and hair algae. Tried everything. Tons of snails, no luck. Lettuce nudi's did help but I think I got them to late. Lowered nitrates and phosphates to as low as possible. Lowered the light schedule. Tried tech M. Nothing worked. In the meantime, my corals all got smothered and one by one died. Couple big sps colonies all the way down to small zoa drag. Only thing that lived was a frogspawn and hammer. So I shut all lights off end of January and slowly started to turn them on last week. Algae is gone but now I'm looking at an empty tank. Time to build it back up again. Sucks but that's how the hobby goes!

Did you try fluconazole and/or H2O2. Those seem to be really powerful tools in this fight. I realize it's too late but just a heads up for the future I guess.

Did you try fluconazole and/or H2O2. Those seem to be really powerful tools in this fight. I realize it's too late but just a heads up for the future I guess.

I did once and had a bad experience so I didn't want to try it again.

Why you sure are committed (or should I say addicted) to continue through those rough patches! I'm also in process of tearing down my current tank due to home construction we hope to have done soon so I'll be in similar boat as far as starting new build after it's all done.

Why you sure are committed (or should I say addicted) to continue through those rough patches! I'm also in process of tearing down my current tank due to home construction we hope to have done soon so I'll be in similar boat as far as starting new build after it's all done.

I have been in the hobby far to long to just give up lol. Also during the outbreak, we were going through home renovation as well. We had a new bathroom built in our basement and the house was in disarray. I probably could have started cleaning the tank earlier but with everything going on it was discouraging. Plus my bathroom that was suppose to be done in 2-3 weeks took 8.5 months to complete.

I have been in the hobby far to long to just give up lol. Also during the outbreak, we were going through home renovation as well. We had a new bathroom built in our basement and the house was in disarray. I probably could have started cleaning the tank earlier but with everything going on it was discouraging. Plus my bathroom that was suppose to be done in 2-3 weeks took 8.5 months to complete.

Yikes!! If you don't mind, shoot me a PM of the contractor you used so I can be sure I'm not considering the same guy! lol

Back