New Saltwater Aquarium

Dotzeke

Non-member
Hey guys first time Aquarium owner. Trying to set up a 55 gallon saltwater tank, any and all tips and recommendations on where to start are much appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 65
Welcome to the club! Lots of good resources on YouTube, check out 52 weeks of reefing by BRS:

Also, check out some local fish shops ( not Petco or PetSmart :sick: ), and they can definitely help you get started! I used to work at Love the Reef and they're super beginner friendly

Welcome to BRS!

If you have the tank already 55g is fine though if starting from scratch, some reefers prefer wider tank with 40B or 75 being the standard options in that range.

I'd recommend the following:
- Make a plan. What kind of tank do you want? The easiest way for you to achieve this is by looking online at tanks you like and then figuring out what went into them and if they're practical for you. FOWLR, reef, etc?
- Start an equipment list. Price things out and develop a budget before going crazy buying stuff. Post the list to BRS as you'll probably be missing a ton of stuff or select crap equipment you'll be looking to replace next year. Let us know what kind of tank you're looking to make and budget and we can give you some good equipment recommendations.
- Check the marketplace for equipment deals.

Pick your sand, rock, and filter (I would suggest the Tidal 110). Start with a quality nitrifying bacteria and dose with an ammonia source for 1-2 weeks. While those two weeks pass, think of a plan of what livestock you want to add. Have a plan going in, adding cheaper and hardier fish first, while waiting for later to get into anything expensive. Go slow, do your homework, and most importantly keep the hobby enjoyable.

welcome, enjoy the hobby, be patient, embrace your mistakes as part of the voyage and learn from them. Focus on water stability with frequent testing and everything else will fall into place.

Back