New T5/VHO bulbs

RockSalt

Will work for coral
Has anyone seen the new T5/VHO bulbs? Drs. F&S has them but they couldn't tell me for sure what fixtures would accept them. Neither could Current (I have the Nova Extreme T5 HO 48" with 4x54w bulbs). The add says any T5 HO compatible fixture.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=16768&inm=1&N=2004+113907+2035

Current says my fixture can only use the 54w bulbs, it won't power 85w bulbs. The guy at Drs. F&S said they don't have anything that says you can or can't only that they will boost the light output of your T5 HO fixture. I need to get some bulbs and getting more output for the same price would be really great. Is it too good to be true?

Does anyone have any information on how much additional light these guys put out? I have a space problem where I was thinking replacing my T12s with T5s for the actinic - but I didn't think I could fit four T5s with reflectors in the space I have available around the MH fixtures.

This could theoretically solve my problem...any information?

Eric

Hmmm this is very interesting.......

Most of the ballasts have multiple configurations.

You can run different sized bulbs in different quantities as long as you dont exceed the maximum wattage of the ballast.

For example, my ADVANCE ballast has a maximum wattage of 110 ( I think ) and I am running 2 X 54watt high output bulbs, or I could run 4 X 24 watt bulbs if I wanted.

It would be easy to wire the ballast for one bulb, but I'm not entirely sure it will burn at 85 watts...... it should.....right??????

One super bright 85 watt bulb with it's own reflector might get some MH shimmer going!

Is it really cost effective to buy the icecap retro fit kits and these bulbs? or like in the above example would 2x54W be cheaper than 1x85?

Thanks for all the info. They (F&S) should be more clear about this, but I knew I could count on all of you.

Back