New to BRS and a budding salt enthusiast

Great Scotch

Eager salt beaver
Hello folks my name is Great scotch or Scotch for short. I was hooked up with an other forum that just didnt do it for me. Not enough participation and after being reffered a few times I have now converted. I have a good feeling about everyone here. I have had my tank up and running for about 3-4 months now and have run into a few problems like many other fng's. I have had a total loss in my tank a short time ago and have been recouping for a few weeks now. I did at one point have a yellow watchmen,neon goby, cleaner wrasse, and a yellow eyed or cole tang.....White spot....My tank was actually fully cycled after only a week. I got my hands on some very well cured rock and of corse live sand. after a month I put my cuc in and then about 2 or so weeks after I got some livestock. When I did I thought "gee since my tank is fresh and without all the badd a** stuff this LFS coral system has that the water should be a benifit"..... I know.....thats been really my only mistake so far. Its been two weeks since then and I have started buying corals. I'll give you my full tank setup in a sec. Right now I have some zooanthids, a nice large leather coral, a feather(i know not coral), a kenya tree, and my newest 'MC' hammer coral. All doing well so far though its only been a week since they were all added in. If you have any personal experience that might help with these coral please let me know. I'll add some pics in a litle bit. Thanks to all the reefers out there pro's or not, we're all in this together.

~Scotch :cool:

~oh yea!

Oh yea my setup......
46 Gal Bow Front
CPR Bak Pak Skimmer
Cora Life dual t-5 (39w) 36" lights
One 10,000K Bulb and One Actinic
One Koralia Evo (650gph)
One random 150w heater
One random, small, probobly only 20-30 gal rated carbon HOB filter
48lbs of LR
40 Lbs of Live sand (the liquid filled bags of that well known brand I cant remember right now, carribien something?)

One awesome aptaisa eating Peperment shrimp

And ya know CUC with a recently free bumble bee snail that is kinda cool for some reason

ok ok............. my cuc is 3(I think that are left) hermits
One big a** (golfball sized) snail(turbo? I forget)
5 Astria's
One black(normal sized) turbo
Two small reg turbo's
Four nassarious (if spelt right) snails

And a small pea sized hitch hiker of a white starfish about half a pea's size. Never saw him before until last night (took him 6 hours to climb the glass to the top)

OK FOLKS HOW DID I DO?

~Scotch:cool:

Welcome to BRS!

I'm somewhat confused. So you've had the tank running for a few months, and then it crashed because you added cured rock?

In terms of livestock, you should try staying away from tangs next time. And i believe bubble bee snails "arnt reef safe" because they may eat other snails, but it seems that they generally are pretty good about not eating them. Aside from that, everything looks great! Cant wait for some FTSs.

Welcome...I'm not sure that's enough light in the long run, perhaps someone else more experienced could offer an opinion. Are you using tap water?

Thanks folks

No my friends I did not use tap water, %100 ro from my lfs. Instant ocean salt. Keeping around 1.0245. also doing a 10gal water change about every two weeks. sometimes 5 every week,depends. it wasnt the Live rock that did it but the water from a bag when I bought a fish, whose tank is connected to the system of the coral display there. I thought it a good idea to get some extra goodness from their system only to get white spot. Here's some pictures folks, dont mind the glass.

Attachments

• 090510 Tank.jpg
    090510 Tank.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Leather big.jpg
    Leather big.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Kenya Tree.jpg
    Kenya Tree.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 185
  • MC hammer.jpg
    MC hammer.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Showing second head.jpg
    Showing second head.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 188
And a few more

:cool:

Attachments

• Tank middle to right.jpg
    Tank middle to right.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Tank middle.jpg
    Tank middle.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Tank middle to left.jpg
    Tank middle to left.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Warped tank pic.jpg
    Warped tank pic.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 185
  • 090610side.jpg
    090610side.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 192
You'll probably want to get some more lighting down the road 78w for a 46gallon tank is a little low (at least for the cool stuff!)

P.S. ... people will disagree but I've been good thus far... I use Tap water ::::::

Back