new to salt water

WelcomeBRS5.jpg

I am from wells maine. I have a 180 gallon sea clear that i bought about 15 years ago. It is in great shape and has only been used for fresh water. Salt is all new to me. There is a 30-40 gallon sump. I have a uv sterilzer and a berlin protein skimmer rated for 200 gallon. My 160 lb of Fiji live rock is coming on Thursday. Can't wait to buy my first fish!

I am from wells maine. I have a 180 gallon sea clear that i bought about 15 years ago. It is in great shape and has only been used for fresh water. Salt is all new to me. There is a 30-40 gallon sump. I have a uv sterilzer and a berlin protein skimmer rated for 200 gallon. My 160 lb of Fiji live rock is coming on Thursday. Can't wait to buy my first fish!

my aunt and uncle live in Wells. Wells is a nice town.

and make sure you let the tank cycle before you add fish. Patience is the key in this hobby. You should wait at least a month before you add your first fish. I would add a clean up crew before a fish. you will be happy in the long run if your patient.

welcome to BRS!

One thing to watch for with a freshwater to saltwater conversion....copper. Think carefully over ANY meds you put in the tank, then look them up and look for copper, I've been told that copper based meds can make a tank unuseable for saltwater, regardless of how long ago they were used.

If someone refutes that, i'd love to know so I can use my other 55 for a refugium :p

this might sound like a dumb question but how important is it to have a refuge. seems to me that it is just another reef tank hooked to a reef tank?

fuge or sump has many benefits (I am sure I will miss some) It adds more water volume which in turn makes the tank more stable. It provides a place to keep your skimmer, heater, etc out of the display for a more clean look. You can add microalgaes to the sump (Like Chaeto) to help with phosphate issues. It also makes a good place to add your chemicals, additives, so your not adding them directly to the display.

Back