Newbie on the South Shore

kimk

Non-member
Hello all!
I just wanted to introduce myself, as I am new to this forum. My name is Kim, and I started my first salt water tank about a year ago. I am hoping to become a member, and begin attending your monthly meetings starting this month. I find myself searching endlessly online for information about whatever my latest question/problem is, and inevitably find ten different opinions for an answer. My hope is that by getting to know a few people in the Boston area, I can actually talk to people and bounce ideas around. Although the internet is valuable for information, I believe communicating with experienced hobbyists will be much more helpful and might keep me from feeling isolated in this hobby.

I am about to begin adding coral to my tank in the near future (probably just soft as I have no MH, just T5 on my tank). Maybe people have suggestions for something appropriate for beginners?

It is nice to meet you all, and I hope your 4th holiday time is great!

Regards,
Kim on the South Shore

WelcomeBRS.jpg

Welcome Kim from the South Shore, you have found a good local resource. You will still get different opinions on many subjects but thats just how it is in this hobby with different results on different systems.

As for suggestions on corals, what type of T5 on what size tank? Many folks keep SPS okay under the right T5's.

Pics?:)

Hi Kim,
We actually have a decent amount of South Shore folks here. Good frags to start with are soft corals. Some button polyps, zoanthids, leathers, etc. Us SS members actually try to get together every now and then for dinner and drinks.

Welcome to the club!

Thank you for your replies, and so quick!
I have a 55 gallon tank right now (sorry - no pictures at the moment). I have the 4ft Tek light system with two daylight and two actinics. (I'll have to look up at home exactly which bulbs they are.) I'm not entirely sure I like the actinics, and will consider changing things up when I begin to change out the bulbs.
It is great to meet you!
Kim

Which LFSs do you South Shore folks frequent? I find myself going to Tropic Isle, but it is fairly inconvenient for me to get to. Are there any places worth the visit on the south shore?

Hi kimk,

fishswim.gif

to the Boston Reefers' Society!

If I lived on the south shore, I'd make the drive to Seekonk and
visit Jeremy at Coral Reef Aquarium.

Welcome to BRS.

The vendor experience forum is very helpful to guide you on lfs choices. A couple of lfs that I have had good experience with are Skiptons (Boston) and Lovely Pet (Quincy).

Of course BRS fourms (Corals, Critters, Equipment) is an excellence source to buy from fellow reefers in the area.

Welcome to BRS.
There is LFS in Tauton Galleria Mall (Underworld Aquarium???), this place does not have a lot stuffs comparing to Skiptons or Coral Reef Aquarium but I think their prices are good.

Welcome to the BRS! Live on the south shore as well:) :cool: If you are looking for fish-try any of the sponsors here(I rarely care how far it is) But looking for corals...just hit up a fellow members house..most everyone has a nice selection of frags you can browse through:D -or any frag swap at the meetings..hope to see you at a future meeting!:)

Hi Kim, welcome! David and I are not on the South Shore but have become a part of the South Shore get togethers! :D Lots of fun, we have made many good friends on the South Shore in this club!

Welcome to the BRS, Kim! Always nice to see another south shore member. You will have to join us once we have another night out. I'm sure we'll be having one soon! :D

I second the recommendation for Coral Reef Aquarium. There aren't too many "local" fish stores in this area, so it's not unusual to drive a little to get to one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club.

Just ask us your questions and we'll be sure to give you as many different answers as possible. :-D

Thank you all for the kind welcome! I look forward to chatting and meeting with you all.

Behrmon, I'm not sure you'll read this or not, but I've got one 10k 54w UV Aquasun, one 12k 54W UV Actinic White, and two 54w Super Actinic.

Kim

welcome from Brockton. this site is awsome. so many helpful and nice people. good place not too far from you is Lovely Pets in Quincy on Parking Way. I go alot!!

Welcome

Welcome to the Boston Reefers. Hope to see you at some of the meetings. We have all learned from each other and it is a great group.
Enjoy.

Tom

Hello all!
I just wanted to introduce myself, as I am new to this forum. My name is Kim, and I started my first salt water tank about a year ago. I am hoping to become a member, and begin attending your monthly meetings starting this month. I find myself searching endlessly online for information about whatever my latest question/problem is, and inevitably find ten different opinions for an answer. My hope is that by getting to know a few people in the Boston area, I can actually talk to people and bounce ideas around. Although the internet is valuable for information, I believe communicating with experienced hobbyists will be much more helpful and might keep me from feeling isolated in this hobby.

I am about to begin adding coral to my tank in the near future (probably just soft as I have no MH, just T5 on my tank). Maybe people have suggestions for something appropriate for beginners?

It is nice to meet you all, and I hope your 4th holiday time is great!

Regards,
Kim on the South Shore

Back