newbie question

firstimer

Non-member
please excuse my noobie question.

whats the difference between double and single end? when you're referring to a light fixture?

A single ended bulb has a single mogul end that screws in. A double ended bulb has a metal connector on each end that clip into the light fixture.

HQI, in the lighting industry, refers to High Quartz Iodide,metal halide bulbs. whether they be double ended(most common) or single ended halides.There's been widespread confusion (I myself have been guilty of assisting). But, HID lamps have an inner arc tube contained within an outer glass sleeve, borosilicate in most mogul lamps and quartz in the double ended lamps. The mogul/medium lamps offer better UV protection.
If you're not confused yet..........you will be.;)

*Example,HQI single end bulb.
http://www.reefshops.com/250w-hqi-single-ended-metal-halide-bulbs.html

Last edited:
so i'm guessing chances are, the double ended would be easier in terms of down the road. (cheaper? more common to find replacement bulbs) etc?

so i'm guessing chances are, the double ended would be easier in terms of down the road. (cheaper? more common to find replacement bulbs) etc?

The claim is the DE bulbs are more efficient as the reflector encompasses the bulb better than a mogul.
They're also smaller.
But man,they can be a real PITA to change out.
Mogul bulbs from what I understand are easier to change.
Both types are plentiful in the aquarium lighting industry.

I use single ended bulbs easy to change just unscrew plus SE bulbs have better uv protection as stated above. They are basically a bulb inside a uv protective shield
and don't need an added glass shield. With a DE bulb you must have a uv protective glass shield at all times or you will burn your corals and fish and yourself. There are pros and cons to both types of bulbs its just a matter of preference.

Back