Nick's Reef

Tunze has a new magnet cleaner you can drag through the sand and it won't put up sand and scratch the glass. Instead of pads it uses dual scrapers on each end.

Does that tank have a chase for the wires in the overflow?

Drag across the sand? That sounds too good to be true.

I can hide wires in the overflow box. It's a dry overflow box. But I don't really see any benefit in doing that for my application. It will just be more of a PITA if I need to take the wire out of the box when I want to move something.

Just get you hands in there and scrape with a razor blade. Too nice a tank to risk scratching.

Try the flipper, I'm telling you its the best!

I got one of those before getting the Mag-Float w/scrapper and wasn't too happy with it. I couldn't flip it right and it didn't clean as good as my medium Mag-Float. And when using the scrapper part in any magnets, be extra careful. If a grain of sand floats behind the scrapper while you are moving, forget about. Instant scratch! :).

I don't know man, I think anytime we use any scrappers or cleaning magnets in our tanks we are risking a "scratch"... I am so paranoid about cleaning the glass now sometimes I do it only once or twice a week!

Higor

I only use a scraper by hand...yes, it's not as convenient. But I would rather have perfect glass than be lazy...

Matt,
I have to see if I have enough space for a gigantea or two. Anemone and SPS don't work quite nice some time. SPS and LPS are my top priority for this tank. The anemone will be a bonus.

But that can always change. :) I always missed the giganteas I had.

I got one of those before getting the Mag-Float w/scrapper and wasn't too happy with it. I couldn't flip it right and it didn't clean as good as my medium Mag-Float. And when using the scrapper part in any magnets, be extra careful. If a grain of sand floats behind the scrapper while you are moving, forget about. Instant scratch! :).

I don't know man, I think anytime we use any scrappers or cleaning magnets in our tanks we are risking a "scratch"... I am so paranoid about cleaning the glass now sometimes I do it only once or twice a week!

Higor

I had a flipper for a bit. The scraper part worked ok but it wore fast when scraping coralline algae because it was made of plastic. The pad part with the grit was marginal at best. I use a Mag-Float every couple of days and get my hands wet every couple of weeks when I do a water change like Dong said.

Guys,
if you have to clean your glass more than twice a week, something is wrong and you need to control your nutrient.
I clean the glass once a week during my water change.

Guys,
if you have to clean your glass more than twice a week, something is wrong and you need to control your nutrient.
I clean the glass once a week during my water change.

with the light being on 8-10 hrs a day and the moon light on for at least 4-6 hours. you sure you do not get to clean the glass every few days?
teach me how to go without cleaning the glass on a reef tank?

Again, control your nutrient. And if your moonlight is contributing algae, it is too strong. There's no real evidence that "moonlight" in a tank benefit anything.

I feel moonlight is just for our enjoyment so there is always some light to the tank. I only clean my tank once or twice a week and then a heavy clean when I do water changes. For moon lights I have mine on moon phase so depending on the moon cycle they go from 0 percent to 10 percent.

Again, control your nutrient. And if your moonlight is contributing algae, it is too strong. There's no real evidence that "moonlight" in a tank benefit anything.

I have to disagree. Certain corals and livestock will spawn according to moon phases. I have had that happen in my tank before back in the day after adding a Moon Lighting schedulle/phase.

Just my opnion/experience. Don't ask me for Scientific Proof... I am too lazy to look for it :cool:

Higor

2nd Tunze 6105 arrived today and it totally kicks a**.

For the next couple days, I'll be fine tuning the controller to work with the new system. Latest firmware has been updated and previous setting has been transmitted.
original.jpg

If only LEDs work out for me. This interface is sexy looking.
original.jpg

Fine tuning the Tunze to make wave. I place both of them on one side of the tank and have them alternate the power to create a gyro. At least that's the goal...
As you can see, I can control many many many pumps in different group. Pretty awesome but I only have two pumps to worry about. :)
original.jpg

Excellent new dosing interface. I love that it has the container capacity and will send out alarm(email) if the container is running low.

original.jpg

8/9- All electronics and wires are hooked up and organized. Started to move a little bit of stuff from the S70 to the XL. The fish were first to be moved in. Everything went well.
8/10-Tested ALK, CA, and MG. ALK=9dKH, CA=350ppm, MG=1200ppm. Using regular Instant Ocean salt hence the readings. Buffed it up with some BRS supplement to bring up CA=380ppm, MG=1250ppm. Move one of each type of LPS into the tank and see how they would react before moving the rest.
8/11- LPS opened way more and looks a lot better than when they were in the S70. Decided to moved everything into the XL.
8/12-S70 cleaned out and stored in basement. All the LR from this tank is still outside in the yard. I did not want to reuse any of it and want to dry it out and recure it if I need more rock.
8/14- Added a Powder Blue tang that was eating at the store.
8/16- As I continue to buff up the ALK, CA, and MG, the corals looks better and better. ALK=9dKH, CA=420ppm, MG=1400.
157029405.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a Queen angel and an Emperor angel as my "centerpiece" for fish. However, being a clams lover and LPS, I'm really in a hard situation. I really like the fish. I just hope that they won't destroy my reef. I'm holding off on putting any clams and anymore LPS until I decide to go large angels or not. I might try Juvies and see if they will bother the LPS and train them to eat prep food.

Last edited:
Back