"Now that's a fish!"

I think Eliot and I may have seen one of these in Fiji. It was a grouper shaped fish that loomed up at the edge of what we could see in slightly cloudy water. It looked about the size of a small car at the time. We could see the shape, but not any detail and it stayed there for a couple of minutes before swimming off. It would be interesting to know if these are in that area.

Well, it was on a shark dive so we had other things to worry about. We really had no clue what we were looking at but guessed grouper because of the shape and the minivan-like size. :)

That thar is what we like ta call a big'un

I'd say "he really matched his meat." I mean, met his match. :D It didn't take long to blow up that rod. That dude was hillarious. Thanks Apisto!

The Goliath was originally called a Jew fish, which is something a certain group of people took offense to. Naturally... A few Bahamians I spoke to about these fish said they were a "greedy" eater. Again, not right... But most considered them sea monsters, believe it or not. They live in blue holes throughout the out islands and have supposedly snatched a diver here and there, thinking they were food.

I can certainly see why that guy talks in such a high voice if that is the way he uses a fishing pole ....

Is that the first time that guy ever held a fishing rod? Gosh, using the side of the boat as a counter balance = snapping the rod.

If that grouper was in fact 600 lbs., or even 400 lbs., then Bubba had no say in the matter. When a fish that size sounds on you, you can forget about trying to muscle him in. It looks like he had too much drag on the fish though. The best thing to do is let the drag up a bit so that he's fighting the reel more and you and the rod less.

Now these are fish :eek:, circa 1979

frontcover.jpg

Captain Jan Waalewyn of Yankee Charters (Gloucester)

jan_s_pics_046.jpg

Back