Octocpus needle wheel mod

Bobbofin

Non-member
Have had my Octopus NW110 for a while and have bee happy with it's performance. I decided to mod the needle wheel using 60 lb test fishing line. Most bait/fishing shops are closed during the winter so I got to stop at one in Andover, NH to get the fishing line. I also got a nice demo of someone making hand made fily fishing lures - what a show!
I got home and mod the needle wheel with it and super glue. WHAT A DIFFERANCE! Instead of visible air bubbles I not get white froth. Here's a pic of what I did.

Attachments

• wheel-mod.jpg
    wheel-mod.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 423
Keep us updated if it pulls more skimmate now. Also, is there some reference online that I can look at to see how this is done?

I know there is a podcast on talkingreef for a mesh mod,not sure on the fishing line mod

I've seen that video. It's for the Sedra pump on a Euro-Reef or ASM. Because of the configuration of stick trees instead of disk with pins mesh is not possible. Fish line is the next best thing.

wonder if there's a way to mod a maxijet 900 paddle wheel.... I clipped the paddles so they are roughly fingers, but no luck so far....might have to bend them or something, I suppose.

...and yes, I have a spare :p

Update

That needle wheel mod works excellent after 12 hours, finer bubbles, foam really frothy. See attached pic. Also check out ghetto filter box and my custom 16x18 sump in a 30 Oceanic stand. I took a large specimen container and cut an inch of the corner off as an overflow. glued a piece of plastic as a stop so I could wedge a Tetra Bio-Bag with carbon and phosphate remover in it at a angle. Works great! No need for reactor or filter sock, all water forced through bio-bag.

Attachments

• 100_0444.jpg
    100_0444.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 227
nicely done...I have a whole bunch of those bags from my overflow filters, any chance you could shoot me a few pics of hat you did so I could try and rig up something similar?

i have the mesh mod on mine.. i guess it would work similar either way though.

Good work.

I tried the mesh mod when I first got it and it just seized the pump up so I gave up. Then some said to try fishing line and super glue. IT WORKS GREAT!

I know there is a podcast on talkingreef for a mesh mod,not sure on the fishing line mod
I'm pretty sure it's not the fishing line Mod, I believe it's the mod using the Black enkamat or ecomat. Worked great for me.

I did a fishing line mod to my bak pak and it was a good upgrade... I thought about doing it for the octo extreme but don't think I could pull it off because of the needle wheel, it's not conducive to doing this mod and I don't think I'll need it it's already pulling gunk out on day 2 :D

Back