Odyssea lighting fixtures..?

There is a lengthy post on reefcentral about these units. I guess in the past they were on a magnetic ballast and weren't outputting as much wattage as they were claiming, but since they started shipping with electronic ballasts people seem to be happy with them and kill-o-watt tests have shown they are outputting what is claimed. The reflectors arent the best, but the unit overall is pretty good IMO, especially when you consider the price. I have one which is FS now (cant use it anymore since I added a canopy), and I was able to keep all SPS (even in bottom 1/3rd of the tank), and anything else I wanted.

Are they the best units? No. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another if I have another open top tank in the future though.

edit: I will say the stock bulbs are pretty crappy, plan on changing those right away.

I have used one for 1 1/2 year I dismantled mine and retro fit it. I bought good bulbs and I have had no problem. I have clams, acros lps leathers. I see how much other people say there units costs to run mine doesn't cost nearly as much. People automatically say bad because of the past rap I would say go for it you can't beat the price when you are just starting out. I am thinking of changing mine and going to t5 but it is hard to swallow paying $600+ for my 6 foot tank when I have no problems with the way my metal halide is running

You get what yo pay for.. for a sump or small tank i'd get another (i've had several of their fixtures).

MH's i'd probably stay away from, and you'll get way more light into your tank with something with better reflectors and bulbs.

A decent brand used setup is a better bet.

true you really end up using the ballasts because you have to buy new reflectors or bulbs and mine is dismantled for just the socket. If you can do a retrofit in a canopy you can save money as opposed to buying a hanging fixture

I purchased 2x 250hgi and 4 x65w compact Odyssea lighting fixtures 3 years ago
After the 1st year of use my 250w ballast failed on me so I purchased a bluewave
ballast. The last two years it has been running smooth. I have sps and lps in my tank.

I have a 130W power compact 30" fixture that worls great for me. The light coloration has stayed true since February, doesn't get too too hot for a PC fixture, has dual cooling fans, moonlight LEDs, and has not failed me yet. Even puts decent coloration on the corals. Though T5s and HQI are ofcourse better.

The brand new HQI HID T5 thingy they make now and sell on ebay (all the 2010 models) are looking pretty sweet though. Nothing good for a 30" tank though... -_-

Glad I asked about this. So one straight up "bad" and the rest were great and good reviews. I presonally think after having done some research that for the price weather they are crap lights or not.....you cant beat the prices they have. Bulb replacement with higher quality bulbs is always a wise choice for any lighting fixture. Ill be keeping my eye on this thread to see if anyone else has a different experience of opinion on this brand.

Back