ok someone please help me get this f*$*&@ing spotted hawkfish out of my tank..

pjed99

Please help he's ate 2 cleaner shrimps and I just put two in there and cant afford to lose them. I spent 45 minutes last night with him and couldnt catch him with just a net! Also when I catch him does anyone want him? If not I'll bring him to Petco!

pjed99 said:
Please help he's ate 2 cleaner shrimps!

That is some expensive meal he had.

May be try a fish trap or you can break down 75% of your tank to catch it.

dz6t said:
That is some expensive meal he had.

May be try a fish trap or you can break down 75% of your tank to catch it.
Fish trap? Something you make with stuff around the house or buy at a fish store!

I have one of them as well...real PIA...kills anything I stick in there and when it gets board it rips apart hurmits...good luck getting it out.

he is a big bastard! Probably 3 inches long and 3inches wide (exageration) He's built like a lunch box! I live in danvers so if you want him come get him! Also Mark I will call you tonight!

Why would you add more cleaner shrimp to the tank when you know he's probably going to eat them? Also why would you be at all surprised that your hawkfish is eating your inverts?

Liquid said:
Why would you add more cleaner shrimp to the tank when you know he's probably going to eat them? Also why would you be at all surprised that your hawkfish is eating your inverts?
because it was the only way I could save my trigger who had ich. I dont have a hospital tank and cant afford to lose all my coralsso the cleaner shrimp were my only option!.

I know exactly what you're talking about I had a Flame that was fine with everything (shrimp, crabs, snails, small fish) for over two years. I moved him to a the new tank and he SNAPPED he killed off three smaller fish i addedall my snails and a shrimp. I had to take nearly all the rock out to get him. Needless to say I'm done with questionable fish. And by the way taking the rock out was much easier and less destructive than chasing around it. Good Luck.

Borrow a fish trap or make the one above. I got my 6 line out with a DIY fishtrap I borrowed from another member. It took 6 days to get it, but it was effortless on my part. I just set it and waited. When I was walking by the tank one morning, I looked in and the 6 line was in the trap. It's much better than taking your tank down. I've gone that route also.;)

skatezen said:
Harpoon =====>
Yeah I was thinking about this...Last night I swear if I got him he was going to the cat. I dont like to torture anything but man this thing tortured me so bad last night. I havent been that stressed out since the Pats/Denver game. Oh and thanks Dennis I will try that trap. I have about 5 of those critter cages. Also someone please come get him or he's going to petco...actually if he goes there that would be worse than giving him to the cat..hmmmmmm. :D :rolleyes:

Had 1 of those in my old 65. I feel for you. It used to eat my Perc eggs, shrimp you name it. Won't be putting 1 of these in my new set-up!!!

The Spotted Hawkfish, also known as the Threadfin Hawkfish or Blotched Hawkfish, has a white body with large red blotches.
A 30 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of hiding places is acceptable for this hardy and aggressive fish. It should not be kept with larger more aggressive hawkfish. Although it eats small fish and shrimp, with caution, it can make an excellent reef inhabitant.

The Spotted Hawkfish diet should include a variety of marine meats, frozen preparations, and live feeder shrimp

Back