One MOre Southdown Question

chuck

why why why
Can somebody just tell me exactly what the bag that the "right" southdown comes in... coloring? ingredients maybe?

Sothdown

If you want,you can come by my place and see what they look like.I live in Braintree right before Highland plaza.

Here ya go....

1.bmp

Yardright on the left ..Southdown on the right...If you need a bigger pic, let me know.

-Linda

be careful you dont get the wrong stuff !!!!
i made the mistake of buying sand that contained silica
had to remove and replace all sand with the tank stocked!!!

also, toomanyfish, did you build your sump/fuge... would like to see it because I am looking to design one for future use, and I am not very imaginitive, so a visual would be great

I think it may be an excercise in futility, trying the mom and pop stores now since HOme Depot is out

as I said to someone else on another thread, just getting sick of looking at my empty 75 LOL

This is just my opinion, but if you can't find it I would just set up the tank "barebottom for the time being. Add the sand later.

The scuttle-butt on RC was that the Fort Pierce Mining Co (the people who packaged the tropical play sand) went toes up. Marco (Fishy Business) was having a hard time tracking down some for a group order. He was being told that it was discontinued. Moe, on the other hand, is convinced it will resurface in HD come March.

Apparently, all is pretty much true. Some guy on RC was selling 40lb bags of something he was calling southdown just recently. Some people were skeptical, but bought it anyway. I think he got $25 including shipping per bag. :eek:

Anyway, since it was 40lbs, some thought it wasn't the correct stuff. Apparently it is, and the 10lb decrease per bag had something to do with the restructuring of the company. :confused: Who knows, but there is some form of the stuff out in circulation, somewhere.... It may take a while to find it's way back into major circulation, though. Or, Moe may be right, and this is the usualy winter panic over a lack of the stuff, and come March it'll be in every HD on the eastern seaboard. ;)

So, set the tank up barebottom....add the sand later. ;) JMHO.

-Linda

Thanks Linda, I am ordering my lights this week, and just gotta get the rest of the plumbing.... and some salt

chuck said:
also, toomanyfish, did you build your sump/fuge... would like to see it because I am looking to design one for future use, and I am not very imaginitive, so a visual would be great

Yup.You can come by anytime,just pm me a day ahead.

Sure is...the only problem is it is something like $16.99 for a 20 lb bag. When compared to Southdown costing $4.99 for a 50 lb bag I'd say it's a little pricey. So 150 lbs of LFS bought aragonite sand would cost about $127 and 150lbs of Southdown would be about $15.

Marco (Fishy Business) was having a hard time tracking down some for a group order. He was being told that it was discontinued

Just a FWIW I think it was doug (dima96) that was having trouble finding it.
The info I got was that it has been discounted by old castle / yard right, not Home depot which I think is where some of the confusion comes in. Each year home depot discontinues it as it is a seasonal product ...then the rumors start flying. Anyway what I was told by the Old Castle rep was that it is a discontinued product but there were 1000 pallets left, my minimum order would have been 22 pallets (900+ bags) or one full trailer. I opted not to invest the money or the space and instead found another source that will be delivering only 6 pallets. Now before everyone starts calling on this
I DO NOT HAVE South Down NOW! The only way I could order from this source was with an unspecified delivery date of "March" thats it just "March"
The way I see it by then HD will either have it again or not. If they do I'll have it and not have to do those stupid 12 store "chasing the sand days" :mad: and if they don't well then revert to A.

Back