one of the great questions many people ask.

J

jokersplayground

How many times should you really be feeding your reef? I have been doing it every other day and feel like I'm starving my fish and coral. But at the same time it keeps the nitrates and phosphates low. What do you guys think?

I also fed every other day and would spot feed the coral twice a week and never had any ill effect on color or behavior.

Yup I try every other but sometimes it's even less
And I add stuff for coral about once a week

I'd say it depends a lot on what you have for livestock, and at least in some cases how much natural food is growing in your system.

As of now I only have 4 fish. 2 clowns, corris wrasse, 1 firefish.

I feed 3 or 4 times a day.. It doesn't take that much time to feed them. Once before work and 2 or 3 times once I get home from work.

I'm home all day everyday. I just get worried about bringing up my nitrate and phosphates

I have 11 fishes in a 120 gallons tank with 40 gallons breeder as a sump. I usually feed about 2 frozen cubes and a small seaweed a day. I run BB and a decent size skimmer, I rarely ever have nitrate problem. Phosphate is one problem that I always struggle with. I usually use about 2 cups of BRS's regular gfo a month. For your 4 small fishes, I don't think you have to worry about nitrate and phosphate that much. A little GFO would take care of your phosphate problem. Water change and a skimmer would be more than enough to take care of your nitrate.

My skimmer is rated for 132g tank and I have a refuge with mangroves and macro algae so I should be good.

I have 12 fish in a 75g and feed everyday. Always live white worms and then I rotate pellets, mysis and my homemade blender food.

Back