Opinions on macro algae in display tank

MURedhawk

Reef Rookie Forever
Would you put halimeda or maiden's hair in your display tank? I saw some excellent specimens of both at a LFS. I currently only use caulerpa in the refugium as an export medium. I have fish, mostly LPS, gorgonians, clam, shrimp, other inverts, and some soft corals. They look interesting and could mix up the display.

Also, if you got them would you dip them?
(I dip all fish and corals but never dipped my caulerpa.)

I've got a decent sized head of gracilaria in my display that I like - it gives a nice contrast to the neon green corals I've got. I do have to trim it back, though.

ubadyjup.jpg

This is my 20 long macro tank. I think it's a support neat idea

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Nice! I buy a lot of display algae, but my tangs always eat it. They even eat the calcified stuff. :confused:

I keep macro algae in my seahorse tank. Red Gracilaria, Flame algae, pencil cap, spiny algae, and caulerpa prolifera. I love the look of it. I thought about adding a little to my reef display, but decided to keep it as two separate worlds.

It looks really good if you dont let it go wild. Some macro mixed with corals is good to cover empty spots in your tank.

I put it on a separate tank because my tang eats it all.

Thank you all for input. I like the look of the halimeda and maiden hair macros for the display. Just afraid of it going crazy and out of control.

I have Halimeda in one of my tanks and it has not been a problem. I would not, however, use any species of Caulerpa in a reef.

Halimeda uses calcium as it grows. Not that big a deal, but I'd rather my coral use the calcium than my seaweed.
Graciliaria and Chaetomorpha don't use calcium.

Caulerpa can uncommonly go sexual in a reef tank, and when it does, it causes a nutrient disaster.
Gracilaria and Chaetomorpha don't.

Those are the reasons most reefers use Chaetomorpha (most popular) or Graciliaria.

But as you've probably noticed, the algae you're looking at have more aesthetic appeal.

Back