Order of adding fish to a 125g?

Best small size tang is hands down the White Tail Bristletooth Tang.
Max size of 6". Best grazer I've ever experienced. Also graze on the sand and if there's enough algae on the glass, it'll clean that too.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3130/white-tail-bristletooth-tang?pcatid=3130&c=15+43+3130

Bristletooth Tangs are in general smaller than other tangs. Here's one that is common and more affordable.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/334/bristletooth-tomini-tang?pcatid=334&c=15+43+334

I don't find purple tang are as attractive or have any great personality. I always have one in my tank but I would take my Desjardin Sailfin over the Purple Tang any day of the week. In fact, I don't really care for them.
Here's a pic of my tangs. You can pretty much see how they look including the Magificient Foxface.
original.jpg

One of the more underrated fish. You don't see them often.
original.jpg
thank you for all the information :) so is a yellow tang still an ok choice?

A single yellow tang is a little boring. It just a yellow tang...You know what I'm saying. However, it is a yellow tang and everyone should have the experience of keeping one.
In the end, all fish can be beautiful.

I have a foxface in both my 180 sps tank and 125 softy tank. In the 180 I also keep a purple tang, yellow tang and a naso tang. In the 125 I have 2 yellow tangs and a sailfin tang. Nobody messes with the fox faces. They all get along, the dominate tang in each tank will flash the others on occasion just to let them all know it’s still the boss but none of them bother with the fox faces in any way. It seems like they instinctively know that the dorsal is venomous.

I put the fox face in each tank first.

In the 180 I added the purple and naso at the same time. I added the yellow later. I got a yellow that was much smaller than the purple, acclimated him for months, made sure he was nice and fat then put him in the 180. He got chased for a little bit but he was still much smaller so not as much of a threat. After a week he was following the other tangs around the tank like a puppy. During the first day or two if any of the tangs got to close to the fox face he would flash and the tangs would hit the brakes.

In the 125 I put the sailfin in first, he was pretty good size. A few months later I added three small yellow tangs at the same time. If they are juveniles they will not show the same level of aggression. They did establish who was boss but having the considerably larger sailfin in with them kept them pretty docile. One of the yellow tangs never looked right, body shape was a little off, if he had ears one of them would have been folded over. I wasn’t going to put him in the 125 because he was deformed then I figured I have one eye and haven’t been euthanized yet so give him a chance. He ended up dieing after about 6 months. I hope I last a little longer.

I have a foxface in both my 180 sps tank and 125 softy tank. In the 180 I also keep a purple tang, yellow tang and a naso tang. In the 125 I have 2 yellow tangs and a sailfin tang. Nobody messes with the fox faces. They all get along, the dominate tang in each tank will flash the others on occasion just to let them all know it’s still the boss but none of them bother with the fox faces in any way. It seems like they instinctively know that the dorsal is venomous.

I put the fox face in each tank first.

In the 180 I added the purple and naso at the same time. I added the yellow later. I got a yellow that was much smaller than the purple, acclimated him for months, made sure he was nice and fat then put him in the 180. He got chased for a little bit but he was still much smaller so not as much of a threat. After a week he was following the other tangs around the tank like a puppy. During the first day or two if any of the tangs got to close to the fox face he would flash and the tangs would hit the brakes.

In the 125 I put the sailfin in first, he was pretty good size. A few months later I added three small yellow tangs at the same time. If they are juveniles they will not show the same level of aggression. They did establish who was boss but having the considerably larger sailfin in with them kept them pretty docile. One of the yellow tangs never looked right, body shape was a little off, if he had ears one of them would have been folded over. I wasn’t going to put him in the 125 because he was deformed then I figured I have one eye and haven’t been euthanized yet so give him a chance. He ended up dieing after about 6 months. I hope I last a little longer.
Thank you for all of this, so what’s stocked in the 125? Just still trying to get some ideas

Back