$&#^@ OUCH!

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
Man my anemone got me.

I was checking out a shrimp skin because there were baby shrimp still atached. It was wierd, they where all white except for black eyes and a yellow dot on each. I have no idea why the shrimp shed before the eggs hatched, but I think it was his/her first batch. Anyway, the anemone streached out when some of the eggs were shaken into it and it took the whole shell into its tenticles. I continued working in the tank and ended up brushing against the tenticles near the shrimp skin. Zap! it stung the heck out of my arm. I have a mark that looks like a burn on the back of my arm and it hurts like a $#@%. This guy normally doesn't sting at all when you touch it with your hand and it only slightly stings the more sensitive skin on my arm.

What were those things you do to stop an anemone sting from hurting?

(Wierd, the k and i keys havn't been working on this laptop and they just started working again for no reason :cool: )

It's anything that stings, the ammonia in your peen helps with the burning sensation, or you can just use ammonia from a bottle. Also try vinegar, it works great on mosquito bits.

Man, I wouldn't expect the sting to hurt that much. It felt like a few wasp stings. It really hurt for about two hours and then the pain completely went away on its own. There is still a red area that looks and feels like a burn but it only hurts when I touch it.

I've heard that some of these guys sting more than others, but I didn't think that they would sting more around food. I'll have to be more careful.

Just for the record, I think also putting the affected part in hot water works for some stings. I am not sure this applies for anemone venom also.

I think the idea is to denature the proteins that make the venom with the high temperature...

Cindy, did you have a cut already on your arm?
I also wonder how badly the sting would/could penetrate the skin on your hand?

Show it to your kids!
"Look what happen to daddy when daddy sticks his hand in the tank?"
i bet you your kids would never stick their hands in there.

The hot water didn't work, I tried that. I did not pee on myself :p

I didn't have a cut, but the skin on the inside of my arm is pretty sensitive. I am a delicate flower :). It really just brushed against my arm and instantly left a welt. I've had the anemone wrap around my hand before and it took about a minute to get the sticky tenticles to let go of me. I didn't get stung at all then.

I hope I'm not getting more sensitive to the sting. I don't really want to test it now. Maybe the anemone is just getting healthier.

Gives you a whole new respect for those little clown fishies, swimming in and out of that thing all day. :)

How's the arm looking today? Also, this made me wonder, how do you transport the anemone to and from the LFS and into your tank without touching it or hurting it?? I've always wondered that..

Glad to hear you didn't keel over, Cindy! It wouldn't be the same without you!

Melody~

this is me said:
Show it to your kids!
"Look what happen to daddy when daddy sticks his hand in the tank?"
i bet you your kids would never stick their hands in there.

haha. minh, i think you mean "mommy". :p

TheUltimateNoob said:
haha. minh, i think you mean "mommy". :p
No, I would definately make Eliot do it :D

I've touched the anemone plenty of times without being stung. At most I've gotten a slight irritation on more sensitive skin like the inside of my wrist. This was very different, instant ouch like touching a hot MH bulb. Today it is all better and the redness is gone, just a brown mark now.

geez cindy I hope the arm is feeling better.. hang in there. I know ur pain, I got stung by my lion fish once, yup it def hurts!!!

I touched it today while feeding table shrimp and no sting. it was my finger though and it has never stung the finger.

~Flighty~ said:
I touched it today while feeding table shrimp and no sting. it was my finger though and it has never stung the finger.
Cindy, I hope you didn't get stung because I asked how bad the sting would hurt your hand!!! I was only wondering if the sting may have been the same, but instead it hitting a more sensitive area.
Anyway, I hope you are feeling ok. And if not, drink MORE and pee on it, ;), that's what I do. :D

i got stung once from one of my mushrooms like that on the end of my finger...i had a paper cut and i thought something latched onto it because it hurt so bad.
Know how your feeling, anemone stings hurt!

Back