Over a 100 degrees today!!! Woohoo!!!

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
If they say 98 to 100 degrees... Oh boy, whatch out!!!! ::

Hope everyone has their ACs CHARGED UP AND CRANKED UP and leave them on ALL DAY!!! :)

It's always said to hear horror stories about tank crashes, so I hope everyone plans for today... I don't think fans across the water will sufice today. Unless ur tank is in the basement or something :p

Good luck and hope all our Tanks stays cool :cool:

Higor

Last edited:
Yep this should be the worst of it had the ac running straight for like a week now house staying nice and cool and tanks hovering at 80 fine by me

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Main breaker just tripped!!! Fixed it but now I'm heading out hope it don't happen again ! I unplugged a few things..

Main breaker just tripped!!! Fixed it but now I'm heading out hope it don't happen again ! I unplugged a few things..

Dude, I just got chills when I read that! I got to say that is one of my worst fears... A breaker tripping or the power going out when I am not home!!!:(

That just reminded me that I REALLY need to buy the Echotech battery back up for my Vortechs!!! Imagine coming home and everything is dead because of something like that?! I think I would literally start crying in disbelieve... Well, given no one is around. Or in that case I would lock myself in the bathroom and then cry :p

Higor

Dude, I just got chills when I read that! I got to say that is one of my worst fears... A breaker tripping or the power going out when I am not home!!!:(

That just reminded me that I REALLY need to buy the Echotech battery back up for my Vortechs!!! Imagine coming home and everything is dead because of something like that?! I think I would literally start crying in disbelieve... Well, given no one is around. Or in that case I would lock myself in the bathroom and then cry :p

Higor
Now I want to leave work and go look at my tanks. If that ever happened I would be done with corals and set up a big lionfish only tank.
I don't think it would be an oxygen issue that would kill a reef tank. It would probably be a heat issue more than anything.
Fish and corals are shipped overnight in little bags and they do fine. When the light go out the fish will go to sleep, consuming less oxigen.

with it 100 out ecotech backups arent going to do anything for your tank hitting 90 after your AC shuts down. Need a net module to text your phone that the tank has hit a certain temp...but do they have battery backups?

with it 100 out ecotech backups arent going to do anything for your tank hitting 90 after your AC shuts down. Need a net module to text your phone that the tank has hit a certain temp...but do they have battery backups?
Steve, unless you have a SMS capability in your controller unit, having battery backup in the controller/net module won't do you any good when the power goes out. It needs a network! If you router goes out, it can't send you anything.
Profilux has an SMS unit where it uses cellular to send you the massage but it's expensive and require a cellular service or SIM card.
To frequently check on your tank remotely to see the tank parameters is good enough. If you can't access your controller remotely, good chance that there's no power at home.

Hmmm. What about a 3G / 4G hot spot? Once they're charged they will run off internal battery anyway and many of them are pay as you go / use. Then just set the system to connect to it via wireless? Most cell carriers will let you e-mail to your SMS number for example.....xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.com etc.

my a/c has been on for a month straight 3rd floor apartment sucks! tank has got to 84 a few times. i just top off with ice cold rodi or i have rodi ice cubes too in case!

Hmmm. What about a 3G / 4G hot spot? Once they're charged they will run off internal battery anyway and many of them are pay as you go / use. Then just set the system to connect to it via wireless? Most cell carriers will let you e-mail to your SMS number for example.....xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.com etc.

I'm not an IT expert but I'm not sure that will work. Because you have to forward the port of your controller to the outside world. I don't think the 3G/4G hot spot has that feature like a router.

I can only speak based on my experience but I know both of my hot spots (verizon and att) support port forwarding. Though you do bring up a good point in that hot spots use dynamic ip addresses, so unless you had a way to do dynamic dns you would not be able to connect to the controller (though you could set it up to send outbound alerts, such as e-mails or e-mail based sms which might work in an emergency).

When I get my tank and controller setup, I'll poke around with this, it could be an interesting feature / use case.
(I am an IT guy! LOL).

I have indivudual ACs in the living and family room. Last night I left them for the first time ON. During the day they are ON around 10 AM till 9 PM.

I have a 14G Biocube in the living and a 12G Mr Aqua Bookself in the family. Bothh have fans connected to the RKL When the water hits 78 the fans start to work. The AC plus the fans have been keeping the temperature between 77.9 -78.2. .

Just in case last week i tested my generator in case of electricity issues.

Both tanks have LEDs that do not generate too much hot.

Back