Overconfidence :(

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
I don't post much anymore, nor have I had much interest in the hobby for the past couple of years. That said, my system was automated enough that I was able to ignore it almost completely for 2-3 years with little consequence other than a thriving hair algae problem. In particular I had many RBTAs that all originated from one that I acquired in 2002, and a pair of true Perculas that I have had since 2003. Also a forest of Sinularia that seemed to thrive regardless of any stressor.

So after last week and 3 days without power or heat I learned;
-Vortex back up doesn't work at all (I hadn't tested it in years)
-B11 battery pumps DO fail even when you do keep a giant pack of spare batteries
-Cheap generators (at least the one I was relying on) can stall out when you are not there to monitor them

So yea, basically a total loss. Fish are definitely dead, not a sign of even a single RBTA (I had around 20), Sinularia forest is melting little by little and I'm not sure if any will survive. I do have a serpent star that seems to have survived but is looking sluggish.

Don't get complacent with this hobby. Murphy's law never goes away, It just bides it's time.

Now I'm left contemplating, start over or move on. Either option seems unthinkable at this point.

Sorry to hear that, please let me know what I can help to keep you going.

Now I'm left contemplating, start over or move on

Start over. It got me reinvigorated in reef keeping. I'm as into this as I was when I started.
John, you live a million miles from me but i got freebies for ya if we can get a chance to meet up should you decide the start anew route!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

That said, it's looking increasingly unlikely that I will be able to start over. I don't have the same disposable income and lack of responsibilities that I had when I started this whole journey 20 years ago. I have a very nice vision of what I would like to do to move forward with reefing, but I just don't have the means. I'm trying to come up with a compromise, but more and more this hobby is just too freaking expensive for this underpaid therapist.

@JohnK I feel ya there! I am a teacher and my wife just started a business last year. Pennies are hard to scrape by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back