Overflow Boxes

Just wanted to chime in as a user of overflows who has switched to a drilled RR tank. My overflow always made me nervous, everytime I leave my apartment I look at it nervously. It's a CPR (check out Melev's reef site, it's got tons of DIY stuff, including an overflow) and 99% of the time it's worked flawless, but that other 1%..catching it right before and after it flooded(one cell phone dead as a result). CPR sells the AquaLifter(?) to pull air out of the siphon and hold the siphon when the power is out, but I just plumbed the airline to a powerhead in the sump. An drilled tank seems like more peace of mind, I'm less likely willing to flood. Good luck regardless. NBL

I use a cpr overflow also on my 90 with a mag 9.5 as a return. Been running for 2 yrs...so far so good. You do need to clean it and replace the plastic tubing every 3-6mo(reg maintenance is essential). I use a penguin powerhead to keep siphon....the aqualifter pumps kept clogging. I would prob drill if I could redo this tank tho.

I had a CPR ovelrflow, and I hated it. I can't count how many times I came home to a near overflow of the tank. Getting the tank drilled is so worth it. You won't ever worry about a loss of syphon.

I've used aquatic life systems overflows on a 75, 125 (used 2) and a 40 for nearly 2 years and did not have a single problem.

Back