overflow boxes

Google it, there is heavy debates on this on almost evey reef forum good luck

If you have the ability to drill the tank I would do that instead of a HOB overflow. I have had both and I hated the HOB.

That is what I have run for over the past 12 years with no issues.... (until I typed this response). I hope I do not regret answering this.

There are foam filters you can use to help quite it down some what, but keep in mind you need to rinse them often... Like filter socks.

I have one on my 30. It works well, but I had to modify the drain with a gurgle buster mod (easy to make). Been using for 2 years.

These are my issues:

-Needs to be watched. If a bubble starts to form in the U, it will grow in size, reduce flow, and eventually stop. Leading to a nasty overflow situation. The fix? Clean and reprime periodically. Just a maintenance step and not too tough. I use a piece of airhose to prime it. You can either suck on the hose to draw the air out, or use an aqualifter.

-Make sure the internal box is secure. It is usually adjustable with a nylon bolt/nut or something so you can raise/lower the tank water height. If not, the box can slide and fall off. Again, a potential overflow situation.

-When doing water changes, I siphon from the display down to a bucket. The sump is too low to siphon effectively. This drops the water level in the display slightly... which leads to some turbulence in the overflow box. This sometimes leads to bubbles getting into the U. Again, reprime to keep the overflow working efficiently.

I have used on in the past and didn't have any issues but would not use on again, I just don't trust the syphon and would rather rely on gravity, that is never going to break:) What ever method you use they all have the same issues once the water is in the box, drains can be blocked, ect.

Been using a CPR overflow for 6 months now no problems. This type does not use the standard U tube for siphon which I like. I run and aqualifter 24/7 with it to keep constantly primed. Overflow has always remained flowing even with powerloss. I actually turn it off every time I do a WC and no reprime needed due to aqualifter. Very little noise. If I had not jumped into the salt water game on a whim and knew then what I know now I would still not use an overflow and opt for a drilled tank though. As others have said would always like one less thing to worry about, than one more. Though if you don`t have the option as I didn't I would recommended the CPR brand as I have had no issues.

-Owen

Back