Painting back of tank?

Bagdis831

Non-member
So I am trying to make the final call on painting my tank but just wanted some advice and thoughts. Here is my current tank it is in front of a window with blinds that are never open.
8ff4d452fc1bb48eb64269606c017965.jpg

Do you think I should paint the back glass blue or black? My light go in at 11 and off at 9 so I can enjoy the tank after work for a little bit. Open to any and all advice. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If not paint put something back there. I bought a 6 foot black plastic sheet and attached it with magnets. But I need to remove them so I can see from the fish room behind my tank. So you don't need that I'm thinking but the black plastic could be removed later if you don't like it

I always paint mine black but they always end up covered w coraline anyhow, I think it's just a matter or preference

I actually do not scrape my back glass (surprisingly) I just am concerned about light creeping through the window shades. Also concerned about getting salt creep between a background and the tank glass

If the back is not easily accessible it might be tough to clean drips from random splashes. I get them from time to time but can just walk back there and wipe them. I've also seen people use contact paper of some type and very dark window tint. Both might be difficult to apply on a running tank that's hard to get to the back.

Ended up going with a blue background for now. The fiancé isn't happy but she'll get over it. Also making some major changes to he system keep an eye open for pictures this week

Awesome. My two main tanks have a blue background. I like it. One I painted multiple colors of blue. Whatever it is in time it just blends in.

I had a 75 G tank full of LPS and soft coral that I added as background one of those laminated painted/pictures of reef motives that you find in pets stores. Looked great and gave a lot of "visual deep" to the tank.

I picked up some privacy film from HD for the back of my tank. It works and looks great. There are options too regarding the amount of light you want to let through.

I've been at this hobby for twenty plus years and have always painted the back panel black. For me it gives a more striking contrast with the pink and purple coraline and the fluorescence of the corals. I do scrape the back of the tank just for that contrast. Plus in the early stages of the life of a tank, it camouflages nuisance algaes better as well.

I've been contemplating painting my tank black. What kind of paint did you end up using?

If you want a nice smooth finish, provided the temperature is adequate for painting, kyrlon spray works great. If you have to indoors any flat paint with a roller and brush works out as well.

For smaller tanks you can let algae grow on the glass for a food supply for your snails. It also is great to hide equipment. I've limited it to the loc-line returns and wavemakers, but its still nice to be able to look into the tank and not be able to notice the equipment. Overall I think it pops all my coral, rock work, and fish out better.

I've used rustoleum with a roller, spray paint,basically whatever I have on hand.

Disclaimer:

I've never painted a tank that was a running system. If you intend to paint a stocked tank, do so at your own peril, use the least toxic paint as possible and ventilated the room well, shut down the skimmer , and pray you don't kill everything in your tank.

Blue acrylic paint. imho black shows every single spec floating around the tank.

I've used rustoleum with a roller, spray paint,basically whatever I have on hand.

Disclaimer:

I've never painted a tank that was a running system. If you intend to paint a stocked tank, do so at your own peril, use the least toxic paint as possible and ventilated the room well, shut down the skimmer , and pray you don't kill everything in your tank.

I thought about doing spray paint but with the tank running and with it at a 45 degree angle to the wall it would be a nightmare...

Blue acrylic paint. imho black shows every single spec floating around the tank.

Oh that's a good idea... I just got a small small thing of black paint. I didn't even think about blue I think I'll be making another stop at the hardware store today before I tackle that project!

I paint all my tanks... I use 2 coats of regular eggshell latex paint...it's durable once dry ..I've tried blues, green and black.. light blue is my favorite...I got to home depot and get a small sample jar... short money.... I apply with a small roller.

I prefer to hang a black sheet behind my tank. I like being able to see into / access the tank from behind, and you do lose a bit of reflected light when you paint the back.

Just put on my third coat... Unfortunately I ended up using satin black instead of flat black but don't think it'll matter too much... Can't wait to see how it turns out keep an eye out on my tanks thread...

Back