Pet Care Tax Deduction

wsonner

Fins To The Left
CONGRESS CONSIDERS PET EXPENSES TAX DEDUCTION
The Issue.
Representative McCotter (R-11, MI) has introduced H.R. 3501 establishing the “Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years Act (HAPPY).” HAPPY would allow for individuals to enjoy tax deductions of up to $3,500 for pet care expenses.
The Impact.
“HAPPY,” drafted in conjunction with data from the American Pet Products Association (APPA) National Pet Owners Survey, would amend the Internal Revenue Code by allowing an individual up to a $3,500 yearly tax deduction for qualified pet care expenses.
“Qualified pet care expenses” is defined as “amounts paid in connection with providing care (including veterinary care) for a qualified pet other than any expense in connection with the acquisition of the qualified pet.”
H.R. 3501 further defines “qualified pet” as “a legally owned, domesticated, live animal.”
NOTE: Animals used for research or owned/utilized in conjunction with a trade or business do not qualify for such treatment under this Act. Nor do people who deducted, during the preceding 3 taxable years, expenses under IRS Sections 162 (ordinary and necessary expenses) and 213 (diagnostic and similar procedures, medical devices and other medical expenses not covered by insurance). It is not clear if expenses associated with maintenance of service animals would be deductable.
Recommended Action.
Providing pet owners the opportunity to deduct pet care expenses is an important step towards ensuring that pet owners provide adequate veterinary and other necessary pet care. It encourages responsible pet ownership and will hopefully reduce the abandonment of pets by people struggling as a result of the economic downturn.
Take time to review this legislation and let your representatives know that you appreciate their efforts to support responsible pet ownership and encourage them to consider H.R. 3501 favorably. Proper usage of the tax code can encourage positive pet owner behavior and improve the health and well-being of companion animals.
Visit PIJAC’s Legislative Action Center for information on how to contact your representative.

I wonder if electricity to power your reef tank counts? This would be a fantastic help if it passes. I'll keep and extra $3500 of my money out of governments hands thank you.

This is a stupid tax deduction. I am a dog lover but I choose to have a dog. There should be no deduction because I choose that I want a pet.

This is a stupid tax deduction. I am a dog lover but I choose to have a dog. There should be no deduction because I choose that I want a pet.

Agreed.. if you have a goat to make your own milk or cheese then maybe, (BIG maybe) but seriously a tax deduction for pet care?

I think that people will end up having poorly cared for pets just to get the deduction.

Perhaps the reason for the tax cut is well intended and I think the government all ready takes to much but I see you point. perhaps people will get pets just for the deduction.

I don't think it will help to better the welfare for out pets. I can't see someone going "well spot needs that surgery and not that it's tax deductible lets do it"

There are better ways to help animals. Like cutting big government spending and bailouts, keep the money with the folks who earn it and we will take better care of our pets and ourselves,.

Kinda like the tax deduction for children. You chose to have children and you get a deduction. Those that chose not to have children pay more tax. The more children you have the more you tax the system, not many things make sense....

"This is a stupid tax deduction. I am a dog lover but I choose to have a dog. There should be no deduction because I choose that I want a pet."

Kinda like the tax deduction for children. You chose to have children and you get a deduction. Those that chose not to have children pay more tax. The more children you have the more you tax the system, not many things make sense....

"This is a stupid tax deduction. I am a dog lover but I choose to have a dog. There should be no deduction because I choose that I want a pet."

You get an exemption for people you support. That doesn't have to be a child. It just usually does. In other words, if your father lives with you, and you pay for over his support, you get a dependent exemption. Just like someone who has a child.

So, those that choose to (or don't have to) support anyone but themselves, pay more tax. Of course, this statement is wrong as well, but it goes to your point about children.

However, I do agree that the dog deduction is stupid.

I see this thread getting locked soon, LOL...

I agree, single, no kids, a significant portion of my taxes pay for stuff I'll never use.. such is life.. I don't agree with the more kids = less taxes either, other countries you pay more, because you impose more of a burden, which to me makes more sense. I think mayeb for elder care or disabled then it might be different.

I don't agree with the more kids = less taxes either, other countries you pay more, because you impose more of a burden, which to me makes more sense. I think mayeb for elder care or disabled then it might be different.

What burden?

Again, it is dependents..... really doesn't matter who it is, as long as they depend on you for their support. If you guys want to make it about kids, so be it, but you're wrong. Sorry. Support you're brother, girlfriend, girlfriend's father, brother, and just about anyone, guess what? you get the exemption if he lives with you for the year and has incomne of less than $3500. You can whine about kids all you want, but it's about dependents, not kids.

So, if you're single, and don't support anyone except yourself, then you MAY pay more taxes.

Why is the thread going to get locked?

If congress decides your dog is a qualifying relative, then guess what? you get an exemption. Of course, they won't, though. Actually, who knows, they've got a lot of stupid tax laws. :rolleyes:

What burden?

Things like.. school, roads, etc.. things tax monies pay for.

If you have 5 people in your household you use more of these services than I do as a single person, so why do you get the breaks?

(not meaning YOU specifically..)

Things like.. school, roads, etc.. things tax monies pay for.

If you have 5 people in your household you use more of these services than I do as a single person, so why do you get the breaks?

(not meaning YOU specifically..)

I'm not ignoring you, but this isn't the appropriate forum for this.
btw... didn't single people go to school?? Sorry, gone on this subject, now. ;)

I'm not ignoring you, but this isn't the appropriate forum for this.
btw... didn't single people go to school?? Sorry, gone on this subject, now. ;)

Agreed wrong palce (I didn't start it yeah yeah that's it, :))

Ok but deductions for pets IS ridiculous! 100% no doubt anytime pets are a choice.. if you can't afford to have one don't get one. Why on earth should my tax dollars go to pay for your dog to get surgery when the national debt is in the bajillions, and there are zillion or so other things that should be more important to be done with it?

Back