Reef Deal Petco has Powder Blue for $49 each

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Just came back from a Petco and they have 3 to 4 inch powder blue tang on sale for $49 each. The one in needham has three of them, all looks healthy.

Qt-Qt-Qt....I would put money 3 to 1 they'll bust out with ich in no longer than 2 weeks without going through qt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishes Petco sells come with free ich.

I have LOST my entire investment in fishes due to freebees from Petco.

there is no guarantee that the fish that you buy either from good local store or from hobbyist like us or even from people from our brs club is going to be ick free either.
so no matter where you buy, prevention is always a good thing

with petco you get a guaranteed ich infection, maybe not obvious at the moment but it's guaranteed to be there. did anybody ask about their filtration systems? all the tanks are on one system. talk to any of the employees you get to know in time and they will tell you at least a couple fish die of random diseases in those tanks every week.

No offense guys, but most likely any if not all of the Fish you buy anywhere, unless completely treated for at least 6 weeks (and there is no one that does that) are coming in with tons of parasites and pathogens....it is up to us as hobbyists to properly QT our Fish before adding them to our displays, if we want to ensure that we do not transfer anything into pour tanks....Petco is no better or worse than any other LFS...It is up to the source of the animal, and the care it is given while in transfer from collection to your tank. Proper husbandry goes a LONG way I this industry....but the rest is left up to us....Hopefully each shop takes the best precautions and steps they can to secure and maintain the best quality livestock possible...but we all know that price unfortunately effects quality....

But in this case, I know where they are getting them from (very good source)...And Adam does a good job maintaining that particular Petco...

No offense guys, but most likely any if not all of the Fish you buy anywhere, unless completely treated for at least 6 weeks (and there is no one that does that) are coming in with tons of parasites and pathogens....it is up to us as hobbyists to properly QT our Fish before adding them to our displays, if we want to ensure that we do not transfer anything into pour tanks....Petco is no better or worse than any other LFS...It is up to the source of the animal, and the care it is given while in transfer from collection to your tank. Proper husbandry goes a LONG way I this industry....but the rest is left up to us....Hopefully each shop takes the best precautions and steps they can to secure and maintain the best quality livestock possible...but we all know that price unfortunately effects quality....

But in this case, I know where they are getting them from (very good source)...And Adam does a good job maintaining that particular Petco...

The several fish in that Petco was in good shape, I bought a sailfin there and so far so good.

Last edited:
I dealt with All New Tropical World in Worcester for a while and he literally sells all his fish within days from getting them in from the distributor, never had an issue with ich or anything else so I guess somewhere along the supply chain they get treated.
Before I learn not to buy things from Petco I would get an outbreak 3out of every 4 time I got stuff from them. Once I got to know the guys in there a little better I was literally told to only buy fish from them if they are still in bags they come in from the distributor because their tank systems are literally a disease incubator.

I dealt with All New Tropical World in Worcester for a while and he literally sells all his fish within days from getting them in from the distributor, never had an issue with ich or anything else so I guess somewhere along the supply chain they get treated.
Before I learn not to buy things from Petco I would get an outbreak 3out of every 4 time I got stuff from them. Once I got to know the guys in there a little better I was literally told to only buy fish from them if they are still in bags they come in from the distributor because their tank systems are literally a disease incubator.

you never had a issue with ich because you got lucky with those fish.... i would be SHOCKED if a chain distributor was treating for ich

Back