Phosphate Education Needed

pesto

Keeping it Simple!
Trying to learn more about phosphates. At what reading level should you become concerned? I use the API test kit and it read .50 at my last test on 3/14.

What is the best way to test, reduce and control phosphates in the reef aquarium?

they could be even higher if you have algae in the tank feeding off it. i suggest using phosban in a reactor if you dont already.

just for kicks i think i would try testing my source water and see what that reads. do you have a TDS meter on your RO/DI? i would check to see thats 0. phosban in a reactor on your tank should fix this IMO.

u need to start with ro/di water...u must have the tds at zero on ur product...other contributors of phosphates:

Suppliments
types of food
Amount of food u feed daily
r a few places to look at...
U need to do water changes regularly...the solution to polution is dilution...phosban is not the answer to the problem...

u need to start with ro/di water...u must have the tds at zero on ur product...other contributors of phosphates:

Suppliments
types of food
Amount of food u feed daily
r a few places to look at...
U need to do water changes regularly...the solution to polution is dilution...phosban is not the answer to the problem...

I use RO/DI filters - TDS Meter reads 0 and replace filters yearly, sooner if required.
Feed 3 cubes of Ocean Nutrition frozen food daily
25% water changes and carbon replacement every three weeks - Carbon in mesh bag in high water flow return line
Test water weekly and supplement Alk, Mag, Cal with Randy's 2 Part as required
2 tsp a week of Kent Tech I and Strontium/Molybdenum
3 tsp week of Roti Feast

yeah...ur phosphates r coming from food & suppliments...don't want to get in an online bashfest....Pm me..
B

What in randy's 2 part contains phosphates? I only use arm and hammer baking soda for alk.....does arm and hammerhave phosphates

Here's what RHF says about p04 in these supplimemts:

"I am not sure of the phosphate levels in all of the ingredients, but I do not think there is significant reason to be concerned with it."

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef

lol haaaaa bring it

u wanna fight?
action-smiley-051.gif
action-smiley-070.gif

Here's what RHF says about p04 in these supplimemts:

"I am not sure of the phosphate levels in all of the ingredients, but I do not think there is significant reason to be concerned with it."

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef

I don't think someone with a softie tank would need to worry either..... (mixed softie tank??? LOL) I don't think he has any sps...

I don't think someone with a softie tank would need to worry either..... (mixed softie tank??? LOL) I don't think he has any sps...

What is your preferred way to supplement? I have been told, only 2nd hand info, that calcium media also can contain phosphates.

Back to my original question ...can someone enlighten me on the best way to reduce the phosphate?

Back to my original question ...can someone enlighten me on the best way to reduce the phosphate?

Controlling input is probably the biggest/first thing to pay attention to.

Controlling phosphate can be helped with; good skimming, growing cheato or other algae in refugims, carbon dosing, water changes, GFO, frequently removing detritis before it accumulates, and I'm sure some other things I didn't think of. There is no silver bullet though, usually a variety of things are done to control/manage/reduce phosphate.

I skim, grow cheato in my fuge, dose with carbon and do 25% water changes every three weeks. I will cut back on feedings and maybe go to an every other week water change schedule.

It sounds like you feed a lot. I'd start by re-examining that.

When you said you dose with carbon, do you mean you run activited carbon, or you dose an organic carbon source? (Or both)

Last edited by a moderator:
ESV Granulated Activated Carbon in mesh bag in high water flow return line. I change it every time I do a water change.

OK, so you run activated carbon.

Organic carbon dosing (sugar, vinegar, vodka....) is another approach that may help with phosphate reduction. Not encouraging or discouraging it's use, just clarifying terms :)

Back