Phosphate Education Needed

What is your preferred way to supplement? I have been told, only 2nd hand info, that calcium media also can contain phosphates.

everything u dump in ur tank contains phosphates to some degree!! U need to find the ones that contain the lower levels..... That is the fun part of the hobby!!!!

ESV Granulated Activated Carbon in mesh bag in high water flow return line. I change it every time I do a water change.

do u rinse before use in product water?

If so.....

Do u check how much phosphates leaches out from the GAC when u soak in ro/di for say 6 hours or so? (overnight)

everything u dump in ur tank contains phosphates to some degree!! U need to find the ones that contain the lower levels..... That is the fun part of the hobby!!!!

It's doubtful that quality cacl or sodium bicarbonate contains any phosphates whatsoever. I know Bulk Reef Supply claims their products contain zero phosphates or ammonia. I'd bet 99% of phosphates in a reef tank are either leaching out of the rock or are contained in the food added to the tank. The other 1% is probably coming from the salt used in water changes. If you run a ca reactor I'm sure there are medias that contain phosphates too.

do u rinse before use in product water?

If so.....

Do u check how much phosphates leaches out from the GAC when u soak in ro/di for say 6 hours or so? (overnight)

I rinse it for minute or so using tap water before placing in tank.

Imo I wouldn't leave the carbon in there that long and I wouldn't rinse it with tap. Again my opinion I believe carbon is great for polishing up the water but gets exausted quick and will start leaching compounds back into the tank.

Pre packaged foods are usually very high in phosphate. So I would either switch food or cut down feeding (may want to cut down feeding any way). I would also switch to water change every 2 weeks till you get them under control.

Last edited:
Tom,

Aquaman is right that the answer to pollution is dilution along with a reduction in feeding. 3 cubes a day is a lot (IMO) for a 90g along with the rotofest that will surely drive up the PO4 and NO3. If it were me I would attack high PO4 with reduced feeding and a regiment of water changes. In the past when things start to get higher Ill do a 20% WC then follow up every 2-3 days later with 10% WCs for 2 weeks then tapper off with a maintenance of biweekly 10%WCs.

Also, what type of skimmer do you have? and if I remember correctly you have a fuge or algea scrubber...I think that your problem stems mostly from your food and additives than from inefficent nutrient exports...youre just putting in too much waste.

And just to chime in here, I too used to run carbon 24-7 but within the last year or so have dialed it back to a day or 2 every 2 weeks after a waterchange. I feel like I have had better results employing carbon in this fashion than before. I never liked it in a reactor (over polished the water IMO) and I tend to agree with others that it starts to leech back into the water column after a while. about 1 cup rinsed in a filter bag near my drain pipe is all I use now. And you must rinse the carbon extremely well in a mesh collendar to clean off any debris/powder.

I rinse it for minute or so using tap water before placing in tank.

ouch....not good!! rinse in ro/di product water...or soak overnight in a 5 gal bucket of ro/di water!!! (& while ur at it...test the p04 in the bucket before & after u soak!!)

Excellent article. It puts many of the old reefer tales to rest...(unless of course you discount all the scientific data presented because the highly educated author doesn't keep sps in his personal tank).

Back