Picasso Percula Clownfish

smartfish

Rob Smart
Here are a couple of pics of a pair of Class A Picasso's that I got on April 1st. They are a little over 4 months old, and a little over an inch and a quarter long. They are eating really well and starting to move around the tank alot more. It was hard to get some pic's but here they are.

Attachments

• picasso 4 04-09-09.jpg
    picasso 4 04-09-09.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,668
  • picasso 04-09-09.jpg
    picasso 04-09-09.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,489
  • picasso 3 04-09-09.jpg
    picasso 3 04-09-09.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,451
  • picasso 2 04-09-09.jpg
    picasso 2 04-09-09.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 3,023
Last edited:
Nice... I'm usually not a fan of the picasso onyx clowns but I like those ones... Specially the one with the orange spot in the white...

wow, those are awsome looking fish, i don't know why, i just love clownfish, i have orcellares clowns, but i want black and white or a pair of the picasso's, are they expensive???

These are almost snowcasso. Once the black all filled in, you'll have some awesome clownfish. I love them. Keep us/me updated with their progress.

I had a pair of ORA grade A picasso but had to choose between them and the Onyx and I chose the onyx. :D

Thanks everyone, I really like them. I really am interested in getting a Snowcasso down the road.

Last edited:
Are these ORA? ORA clowns has a "smashed in" face trait that I'm not very fond of. But nonetheless, the pattern is awesome.

Not ORA

Are these ORA? ORA clowns has a "smashed in" face trait that I'm not very fond of. But nonetheless, the pattern is awesome.

No they are not from ORA, I tried getting them from ORA and it was a couple of months waiting list. I just do not have that kind of patience, though I am very happy with the quality of fish that I got from www.donisreef.com. Awesome thread showing the whole breeding process. (Go to About and click on woodys-120-escapade.

Last edited:
Yes! Doni's picasso are much better looking than the ORA IMHO. They have a stubby body unlike the longer and slender body type of the ORA. But it's the ORA smashed in face that I can't stand.
I thought it was quite a long wait for Doni's as well when I was looking for them.

Yes! Doni's picasso are much better looking than the ORA IMHO. They have a stubby body unlike the longer and slender body type of the ORA. But it's the ORA smashed in face that I can't stand.
I thought it was quite a long wait for Doni's as well when I was looking for them.

It looks like you could order some today if you wanted. It shows some available. I ordered mine on a Monday March 30th and got them Wednesday April 1st..

I would love to. But I have four clowns in the tank and they're getting big. I do not want to take the risk of such an incredible looking fish. I wish I got room and time for another tank, but I don't.

I was just thinking about buying a 3.5 gallon set up from Dr.Foster and Smith and growing some out. Because they are small for a 120, I had to turn the VorTech all the way down and put a protector on the overflow just as a precation. I also took out my Watchman Gobie. I put him in the refugium because he was eyeballing them pretty hard. He has in the past gobbled up smaller fish. I also turn the tank off for like 10 minutes to feed so they get enough to eat. But they are getting there, I have been turning the VorTech up for short periods of time to get them acclimated to the flow as well, only when I am around. Give them a little more time and they will do much better but for now its like having children in the tank.

You have a host for the clowns? They would be a lot safer if they have a host. However, I'm not sure if you're aware of percula clown fading their color depending what they host in. IME, I would stay away from BTA. S.Gigantea is their natural host, however I haven't had any luck with Gigantea. They are the hardest anemone to keep in captivity in the long run. Another natural host is Sabae anemone and they're much more easier to keep.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70457
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1531109&perpage=25&pagenumber=2
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=13999137
And many many more threads regarding color fading of percula in certain host.

I do not have a BTA but I do have a LTA it is at the top and they do not seem interested in this. The other thing I have is a Frogspawn and they have been playing a little in this. I also have a Aussie Elegance coral, they may decide to host. I am looking for a purple Anenome Like the one pictured on Donisreef. Do you know what kind this is?
I believe I have a bigger concern, I have heard of them jumping twice now. My light covers most of the tank but maybe as a precaution I should put the cover back on. Do they always jump or is this a phase? I do not care for the cover because it gets dirty and keeps heat in the tank.

After doing some research these seem a little hard to keep care of, and are aggressive to other corals and other fish. The sting can be one of the few anemones that can cause a severe reaction in humans. Dont like this so much...

Back