Pistol Shrimp & Flow Question

LauraD

Prev. Deignan14's 1/2
I need some advice on these two questions:
Pistol Shrimp: Are they safe for my softie tank? I've heard alot about the mantis and I have a Pistol in my temp rock tank.....Can I move him into my new setup with worries? Pros/Cons?

Flow: How do I know if I have enough flow. I am trying to avoid powerheads. I have a 37 Gal Cube, Softies Only. What size return pump would be enough?

pistols

Well I can't answer your flow question, but I've kept pistols before and they should be fine for your softy tank. The only problem you may have in adding them to an already stocked tank is that they tend to dig and dig. If your rock isn't supported by something under the sand or if it's not resting on the tank bottom directly, then you may have a problem. He'll tunnel under everything and suddenly you'll find it all collapsed one morning.

Other than that though, they're great. What kind do you have? I've had a candy cane pistol for 3 months and I think I've seen him twice. So I guess they can be shy too.

Thanks Bitingthesun for your response. My sand bed is very shallow...maybe an inch at most. So he may not be able to cause too much damage by digging. I dont have to worry about him eating my hermits, snails etc then? I dont know what kind he is. I havent really seen him. Jason brought him home and put him in my temp tank refug and he's been hiding since. I know he is red.

Yes, I think so. I will take a look at him tonight to be sure.
Nice Pic!

Thanks,

do you plan on getting a goby to go with him? The type in the picture is easy to keep, also Yasha Hasha pair up with these shrimp as well. They're symbiotic.

You'll see the shrimp more, and he might survive longer with a goby paired with him. The pistols won't eat your snails or crabs. No worries there. And I've had no trouble with the little candy cane pistols destabilizing rocks. They're just so small that they don't move nearly as much sand and rubble as the big tiger pistols.

I would guess that perhaps 700gph might be enough for your softie tank? So maybe a mag 9.5 with two outlets and two hydor nozzles to provide varied flow. In a softie tank it will be nice to have the flow moving around a bit, and having two nozzles will give broader flow and fewer dead spots. I put a hydor on my mag 5 return in my SPS tank, and although it's a bit too much flow for the hydor (supposedly maxes out at 350, I think) it really cleared up some dead spots behind my rock.

Nate

My Pistol is all Red, Like a cooked lobster! Is that an okay kind? I have Peppermints, and a cleaner in the same tank. I also have a yellow goby, will he make friends with him?
Nate: thanks for you comments....I understand half of it and will have Jason explain the "technical" stuff to me. I only have one return hole, so if I want varied flow I will need to overhang a nozzle. I was hoping the return was enough....less equip on the back of the tank the better.

I would just use some loc-line flexible tubing and get a wye for that single return line. That way you can distribute the flow a bit better without adding any plumbing on the back. I think if you want to have only one source of flow in the tank, you should split it up so it's distributed in the tank a bit more.

ahh! Good Idea, Nate. Thanks
What type of Pistol do I have....being all red? and is it okay to put him in my tank with my other shrimp?

Only other red one I know of is a Randalls Pistol, but its red/white. Maybe they can have a red variation.

Take a pic if you can, or hopefully someone else will respond.

Oh and if it is a Pistol shrimp he should be fine with your other shrimp. I have 2 pistols living in a 10 gallon with a cleaner shrimp. All is good between all of them.

Last edited:
Back