Please Help: Crocea Clam not doing well

Andy O

Non-member
OK, the hippo seems to have stopped nipping at the clam mantle but the clam is still not opening. Just to refresh the history of this. Added a crocea on Saturday, he was opened but not fully and he fully opened up on Sunday. Came home on Monday to find Franken Tang nipping at the mantle and the clam was closed up. Came home yesterday to find the clam still closed up and the hippo was not bothering him. Clam is on the substrate with a piece of LR burried underneath him. Flow is good and he is getting ligthing under 250 DE MH. Checked water parameters and they all seem in check.

I know that being closed up for a clam is bad but is he doomed or at what point do I say there is no hope.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

put the clam up in the rockwork, they like to be on rocks, you can always add phytoplankton he might eat it
good luck
Duds

What size is the clam and where did it come from, LFS or established tank? Did you look for pyramidal snails? If the clam was irritated enough it may take a couple days to completely open. If there is a rock under it to attach to there is no need to place it up on the rock work. I would only worry about putting it up on the rockwork if your tank is 30" or so or deeper. I would give it another day or so and see how it does. Can you cover it with tupperware or something to make sure the hippo isn't bothering it while you are not looking?

It is about 6" and I picked it up from another member who has had it for a while and had been doing well in their system. I did look it over and saw no snails.

I was thinking of covering it. I read on a forum to cut of the top of a 2 liter and punch holes in it and place it over the clam so I will try that.

can you post a picture? Does it react when a shadow passes over it?

You could see a bit inside the shell but for the most part it is closed and the mantle is not extended externally at all. I can try and get a picture when I get home tonight.

I would try what ever you can to cover it and keep the fish away but allowing light to get through. Reaction to light is a good indication of health or poor health, but the mantle needs to be out to test this. Keep us posted.

Back