Please help identify what's wrong with my blue powder.

KhanhQ83

Non-member
Hi everyone. I bought a nice blue powder tang a week ago and it went straight to my QT. He was flashing against the pvc pipes but I have never seen any spots on him but to be safe, I'm treating him with cupramine. A few days ago, I notice lesions on his skin on both sides. At first he was eating healthy and swimming around but now he usually hiding in a corner somewhere and seems like losing his appetite. Can someone tell me what is happening to him? I really love this guy and don't to lose him. I've snapped some pics. Thanks in advance

IMG_20120402_221527.jpg

IMG_20120402_221514.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

do you have an airstone in there ? also how are the parameters ? if he is in quarantine I would check for ammonia especially ..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

powder blue and browns are notorious for getting sick....make sure that qt has plenty of oxygen as stated above and that the parameters are on target or else the QT is useless. Good luck with it, they are my favorite of the surgeons i recently purchased one myself also.

I'm using the penguin biowheel filter the biggest type on my 29g qt. The filter had been cycled for 2 months and can handle 2ppm ammonia no problem. I also have a big air pump with 2 nozzles, 1 for airstone another for the corner filter. I know tangs need lots of oxygen. Water parameters:

Ammo: 0
Trites: 0
Trates: 20
Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.024
Copper: 0.4

I know nitrates are on the high side and doing water changes to bring it down but even then with that nitrate shouldn't bother fish too much.

Could it be marine velvet?

He doesn't seem to be breathing heavily. The cloudy eyes could be from the camera flash. I took one without flash. Does it still look it cloudy to you?

IMG_20120402_221447.jpg

Ah, yeah it was probably the flash that made the eyes look cloudy.

I would try prazipro first, and see if that helps. Not sure if you can use it with copper though :/

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

+1 on the airstone.

Doesn't look like velvet, but not sure.

I'd stick to the cupramine, and maybe prazi-pro (I try not to use meds together unless I am positive they won't interact). Then give it time. As long as it isn't breathing fast and is eating, there is hope. Boost feedings with vitamins (like vitachem) and selcon.

If the lesions seem to be getting worse, of if you suspect a secondary infection related to something like parasites, I'd try a gram-neg antibacterial such as Maracyn-2. That med doses the tank with vitamins as well as an antibiotic.

PBT's are one of my fave fish too... someday I'll get one.

Back