Please help - very frustrated!!

I would recommend going with ro water from an LFS if necessary. Most towns are putting chlorine in their water now, but I don't think that would kill them that fast. The ro will eliminate you adding so many things before the water is safe. You are definitely bound to end up overdosing something or combining something that is not good for the fish. Go with the ro, test everything prior, and I would think you would be ok. I can't see normal ph differences or even alk differences of 2-3 points killing a fish like a chromis that fast. IMO it would have to be something in the water itself, not a parameter that is at least within the bounds of reality.

I think john Travolta made a movie about Wilmington water.

Woburn water, actually.

I think the OP should bite the bullet and get an RODI. Spare himself the nightmare, the dosing of Amquel, etc. Buy one used for a hundred bucks and feel confident that your family is drinking clean water as well as your fishies.

30 seconds is fast. On a side bar, do you drink your tap water? I live in stoneham and i run tap water, but i believe that stoneham has mwra water. silly question but have you stuck your hand in the tank recently? I only ask because if you had any voltage running through that tank that would have let you know. If your tap water had something in it that could kill a fish in 30 seconds you would have received a notice from the town telling you to not drink the water and i'm sure it would have been on fox news by now. "Killer Tap Water! after this word from our sponsor."

i would also switch to a drip acclimation for a longer period of time, I drip acclimate all my fish for 45 minutes making sure to at least triple the water volume.

+1 on the voltage idear. If you using old heaters etc from your previous set-up, maybe something is sending a current into your water. THAT would kill a chromis pretty quick I bet.

thanks for the posts....i have had my hands in the tank with the heater running, and no electricution...

Back