Pls help; is this algea that i have to worry about?

arda

sohal tang
my tank has been set for 2 weeks, and I found this on a coral that I bought last Wednesday. Is this something that I should worry about? if it is, how can I get rid of it? Thank you

Attachments

• photo 11.jpg
    photo 11.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 263
  • photo 22.jpg
    photo 22.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 258
2 weeks is a little too early to house corals. It's still in the cycling phase and you'll get algae for the next month or more. Algae on the rock is normal for a newly set up tank.

patience and tank stability without fluctuation is the key to success. How many corals do you have in the tank already. What are you testing and what are the readings at? PH, Calcium, Alkalinity, Nitrate at?

2 weeks is a little too early to house corals. It's still in the cycling phase and you'll get algae for the next month or more. Algae on the rock is normal for a newly set up tank.

I agree! I actually did a post earlier and deleted it because I figured it had to be a mistake or a typo.

To add to the above list, since I am thinking the tank is cycling as well, please test and post results for ammonia and nitrites as well. You may already know this, but new tanks go through stages of algae. Usually first is the diatom bloom (brown algae that will cover all rocks and sand; will last for a couple-few weeks until all silicates are used up), then comes the green hair algae. That can last anywhere from a few weeks to permanently depending on your water quality, bioload, etc.

The brown on the first picture looks like diatoms. The brown stringy algae on the second could be dinoflagellates (hopefully not!). Can you post another picture of the Zoas?

when I bought the coral this algae was on it so tank didn't make it. I did cut the algae from the rock just in case but it wasn't from my tank it came from the fish store.

ph.8.08
ammonia:0ppm
nitrite:0.25ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
Calcium:410
Alk:10.1dkh
Mag:1220ppm

Attachments

• photo 2222.jpg
    photo 2222.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 206
Dinoflagellates. It does not matter how old or how well cycled the tank is, Dinoflagellates are bad news and a PIA to get rid of. They are not nutrient limited like many other pest issues. I'd get that piece out, rinsed and dipped asap.

Bit if that is a hint of dinos that came in a new coral there is a good chance that they will die out pretty much right away. Dinos are terrible to deal with, but I'd still suggest watching for at least a couple of days to see if it's even a problem.

As was already said, take it slow and let the tank cycle and mature a bit before adding any more corals.

Back