Plumbing sump - PVC vs Vinyl Tubing

SkinnyPete

Non-member
So, I'm re-plumbing my sump/fuge to a bigger tank in a different room, through a wall. I was using pvc to drain and small amount of pvc to mostly vinyl tubing to return, which seems to be what a lot of people do.

Is there a reason why people use pvc to drain rather than vinyl tubing? Vinyl tubing is just so much easier to bend and turn without using joins (I may order spaflex for this reason). Just curious, why use PVC instead of vinyl tubing to drain (or return for that matter)? Is it to avoid the narrowing of the barb fitting when draining?

Thanks.

- Skins

I have vinyl on my return on my 72...low pressure, short run, so I trust the clamps. On my 92, the drain is spaflex, longer run, (12 ft) one uninterrupted piece (to avoid a potential blockage). The return is spaflex after a PVC manifold off my return pump, but it was more about ease than anything else. I trust the vinyl tubing for short runs and low pressure, but like the idea of GLUED fittings if the water travels for a while.

Next up is a 25 foot run to tie my 72 to the basement sump/fuge system. I will probably add in another 75 gallons or so uf sump with another rubbermade I have lying around.....Probably a spaflex/rigid PVC mix on that project.

To me the real problem with vinyl tubing is that it needs to be secured with hose barbs, and those pose a serious constriction to the stuff going through. If a snail goes through a drain, it can get stuck on a hose barb, and flood your floor. PVC or Spaflex pipe are better because they are full-diameter through all fittings. There are no constrictions, so if something fits through the opening of the pipe, it should be able to flow all the way through without getting stuck. This is a really important detail for drains.

Another advantage to this is that there is less head pressure for returns. Those barbs cut down on flow!

I like to use rigid PVC for a few reasons;
-flex tubing can get bumped or otherwise kinked or bent so as to restrict flow. This can happen unnoticed and then there's a flood risk albiet unlikely. None of this is an issue with PVC.
-clear vinyl will grow algae inside, this algae can slow flow and or come loose in chunks and cause a sudden back up. (flood). (not an issue with black tubing) PVC will need cleaning over time, but nothing like clear tube.
-IME vinyl tubing is a big pain to take apart for cleaning or other maintence. PVC is a snap as long as you plan in the appropriate unuion fittings.

All that said, IMO/IME both are perfectly viable options.

because I've never used spa flex.

I was just comparing clear tubing vs PVC, IME. Never used spa flex so I can't say, but I'd assume that it has all the same benifits of rigid PVC but is, well, a bit more flexible :)

Back