Possible early black ich on my ocellaris

LockeOak

Non-member
I was out of the country for a week and got back a few days ago. My significant other did a great job of taking care of the tank, and aside from some zoanthids that took a tumble into a frogspawn and look a little singed everything was fine. Two days ago I noticed a few very small dark spots on my female 2+ year old ocellaris clown. I can't get a clear picture. There are 4-5 dark spots (like she was poked with a pencil), one on her right pectoral fin and the rest on the orange dorsal surface between the pectoral fins and the mouth. No marks on any white areas, all on her "chin" except for one on the fin. The male is unaffected. Both are acting normally and eating like the pigs they are, no rubbing or labored breathing. As far as I can tell over the past two days the number of marks has not increased. These are the only fish in the tank and are the only fish that have ever been in the tank (~6 month old tank). I wanted ideas on treatment options, I don't have a large enough QT tank to hold them both for a 4-6 week treatment, plus I'm moving in two months anyway. Would a coral burn make these types of marks? They're all about where you would expect if she tried to host something that didn't care for it and stung her. They hang out mostly near some zoanthids and a frogspawn, though there is also a sinularia, montipora, a green slimer and a millepora in the tank. I was under the impression that black ich was primarily a tang disease.

Options:
1) Do nothing, monitor, feed, continue weekly water changes, put in QT after the move.
2) Get a cleaner shrimp to assist the fish in fighting off the infection.
3) Formalin dip, return to display, hope they aren't reinfected in the next month and a half, put in QT after I move and leave the display tank fishless for 6 weeks.

Any ideas?

I believe "Black Ich" is only on certain tangs. Black spots on clownfish are usually related to hosting certain corals (torch, zoantids, etc...) They usually don't bother the clownfish or cause any issues either.

Well, it certainly looks like it could be melanin spots. Unless anyone has some reason for alarm bells I will just not worry about it and keep an eye on her. Thanks for the reassurance.

Back