Possible ich? 1 white spot on my yellow tang

Gsxkid

BRS Member
So I have had him for 14 days he had been fine this far. I just noticed a white spot on him. He's the only fish in my tank. I dipped him in fresh water for 6 minutes. No bag water went into the dip and no dip water went into the Tank. Tanks new was filled with RoDi. How's this even possible?

Tank has been running 2 months. I had read articles that said a tang would be fine in a new tank. No I mean it's my only and first fish why would a quarantine tank be necessary? No way he could really harm anything being as that he is alone?

I don't think it's ich though after looking at it more it almost looks like dusty or fuzzy.

Some people quarantine the first fish to keep diseases out of the tank. Ich can live a long time without a host, so the first fish can bring it in, then die, and even if the next fish is healthy it will catch ich from the infection in the tank.

A fuzzy white spot could be lymphocystis. Brooklynella and velvet look dusty.

If the tank isn't established enough to have sufficient algae for him, you'll need to feed it to keep him healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank has been running 2 months. I had read articles that said a tang would be fine in a new tank. No I mean it's my only and first fish why would a quarantine tank be necessary? No way he could really harm anything being as that he is alone?

QT allows time for parisites to show themselves and then be dealt with, as well as giving new fish time to get over the shock and stress they are experiencing by the time we get them home. A freshwater dip is hard on the fish, but unlikely to be effective against parisites. Ick for example can be imbedded in the gills where it can easily survive a dip. There is no dip, medication, or protocol that will cure fish of potential parisites in one shot/day.

I do agree that yellow tangs are hardy fish that should be ok as first fish.

So after further examination he has 2 spots identical size and location. Bottom corner of his gills. It protrudes out like an 1/8 of an inch from both sides when looking at him from the front. Any idea what this is? Doesn't look like ich to me. Some sort of gill infection?

Back