Precision cut lumber?

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
Is there such a thing as buying precision cut lumber? I have had extreme bad luck with having plywood and mdf cut at home depot. The don't guarantee precision cuts and usually it's not even close to a straight cut. I'd like to buy some mdf for a new project and would like to have it pre-cut since I don't have a lot of space to do it in my apartment. Not looking for crazy detail work, just a few straight cuts. Anyone have any recommendations?

Is there such a thing as buying precision cut lumber? I have had extreme bad luck with having plywood and mdf cut at home depot. The don't guarantee precision cuts and usually it's not even close to a straight cut. I'd like to buy some mdf for a new project and would like to have it pre-cut since I don't have a lot of space to do it in my apartment. Not looking for crazy detail work, just a few straight cuts. Anyone have any recommendations?

I've had pretty good luck at Lowes. I actually returned a sheet that was cut once because not one cut was straight. After a little complaining they cut me another sheet to the correct diminsions

From what I've found with these stores - it all depends on when you go, and if you're a frequent shopper (so you know who's going to be helpful or not)

You defiantly don't want to go anytime after 5:00! Earlier the better - that's when the skilled folks work.

I've had good luck having things cut to size with the HD nearest me -the panel saw will do a much a better job making long cuts in 4x8 sheets than I could. I also do all of the lifting etc. makin it easy on them.

But I've also bought half my house from there and know their employees skills better than management does...

You've had better luck than me. I've had them cut something and then when I explain to them that it's a 1/2" off the guy shrugs and says "sorry no precision cuts" and that their cuts are just to make it easy for people to get it in their cars so they can cut them to size at home.

Try Boulter Plywood in Somerville. Might be a few dollars more, but the cuts will be right.
This was my exact thought when I read the first post.

Boulter plywood in Sommerville will be happy to help you, and they'll cut it exactly how you want it. You can't really blame the guys at Lowes, because they're using a panel saw, and it's hard too get much precision from those.

Where were you guys last week? lol I ended up getting what I needed at HD and having it cut a bit over sized and then finishing everything up with my skill saw and a long piece of angle iron clamped to the wood to act as a guide. It worked pretty good. Somerville is right next door so I may try them next time I need something.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
Bringing a tape measure is a must! And I have had good luck at Lowes every time exept once and I complained, they corrected the problem and ate the price of the mistake.

Back