Protein skimmer overflowing/Help

Jellsville USA

BRS Member
I hav an in sump Octopus 150 model protein skimmer. I've had it running for about a week and no matter how I set the tube (open or closed) I get foam up to almost overflowing. Is there a break in period or does something seem very wrong here???

Has the water level in the sump been changing? (evaporation)

How deep is the skimmer sitting?

sump

The water level has remained midrange. I have a mega flow sump and the protein skimmer is in the center. It is a tight fit but no impediment. Should it already be working normal??

How deep is it sitting in the water? That can make a big difference. IIRC 6-8" is reccomended, but I could be off on that.

If it just looks like it's close to overflowing but not actually overflowing, I wouldn't worry too much. Needle wheels often behave like that. It's beckett, downdraft and those types of skimmer that need the initial level a lot lower.

They should need a break in period... As mentioned by John the level of water it's sitting in makes a big difference as well as an inconsistent water level. But if it's overflowing it sounds like the water level is too high. When I forget to shut off my skimmer before I shut off the return pump and the water level rises it overflows. Even if it's in the right height of water you could try putting some foam under the skimmer to raise it up a few inches to see if that helps until it's broken in...

How deep is it sitting in the water? That can make a big difference. IIRC 6-8" is reccomended, but I could be off on that.

That's about right John...

I hav an in sump Octopus 150 model protein skimmer. I've had it running for about a week and no matter how I set the tube (open or closed) I get foam up to almost overflowing. Is there a break in period or does something seem very wrong here???

I have a DWN-150 , the external model. I know its a little different but I too have experienced your phenemon with this model.

I found the best way to combat overflow when first turning on the skimmer is too feed the water into the skimmer with the recirculating pump *OFF*. The water level should not reach beyond or below the two red lines in my photograph (this supplied by a Maxijet900 in my system). The bubbles should sit at the blue line once you turn the Recirculating pump *ON*.

One Extremely important question is... Did you modify any of the existing PVC?

dnw150.jpg

sump skimmer

Yes everything is prepackaged. I raise the pump up in the sump and it slowed down for a short period of time and then boom right back to bubbles up to almost the top of the collection chamber. I'm very unsure of how to slow them down. Please help.

It is in the sump compartment after the bioballs. It has a vals already doesn't matter how I adjust it.

i'm confused about your skimmer. yours should have a recirculating and a feed pump no? how do you feed your skimmer water

Back