Puffer

Daragon

Non-member
Can someone refer me to a site that has different puffer pictures? A lady I work with has a FO tank that her husband is breaking it down and was going to flush the fish down the toilet. I told her NOT to do that and to bring in the fish to me. Well she brought in a striped damsel fish (which will be food for my FrogFish) and a beautiful puffer fish. It is white with black spots and is florecent yellow on the top. I'm trying to find out what kind it is. Thanks

It sounds like it may be a type of toby. There are some pics on saltwaterfish.com, or you can also do a google image search for "puffer fish". If you do the google, you'll get a bunch of garbage photos with it too though that have nothing to do with what you're looking for.

It could be one of many brackish puffers that are commonly sold as saltwater puffers. Sounds like the green, or leopard spotted puffer. as they get older, they do better at pure seawater levels, but juvies are sold acclimated to brackish, salt, and even pure freshwater. They're also really nasty and generally not considered a good candidate for a mixed species salt tank, even in aggressive tanks. And you'd be amazed at what damage such a little fish could do in a reef tank (I know I was :( ). Here's a pic:

Attachments

• GSP.jpg
    GSP.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 199
tucc185 said:
It could be one of many brackish puffers that are commonly sold as saltwater puffers. Sounds like the green, or leopard spotted puffer. as they get older, they do better at pure seawater levels, but juvies are sold acclimated to brackish, salt, and even pure freshwater. They're also really nasty and generally not considered a good candidate for a mixed species salt tank, even in aggressive tanks. And you'd be amazed at what damage such a little fish could do in a reef tank (I know I was :( ). Here's a pic:

You nailed it!!! That's it, the lady that gave it to me just told me that she couldn't keep any fish with it because they kept disappearing. Now we know why, it ate them all.

It's in a 65g tank by itself right now, too bad I can't keep it with other fish, it really is a beautiful fish.

I've had a green spot puffer for almost a year now, its in a 58g with 8 other fish and a mixture of softies, lps and sps, besides the ocassional hermit crab or snail it has not bothered anything

It sounds like you have a green spotted puffer Adam.
Check out these sites. Damn my links aren't working - I'll try posting the link to the puffer forum web page later.
You'll want to feed him live snails and shellfish - foods with hard shells to keep his teeth worn down.
Good luck.

I guess it doesn't matter any more. The puffer is MIA. I left my place about 8pm and it was swimming around the tank, got home about 2:30am and it was missing. This morning, still missing. I searched the overflow, all around the tank and nothing. I hope my cats didn't make a meal of it... :(

Back