Quahog and limpet shells for reef tank.

Muddskipper35

Non-member
So heres the question.. The shores around the shouth shore are littered with quahog and limpet shells.. these are calcium rich and free .. please give me a reason why these couldnt be crushed and used as a calcium reactor medium or in the construction of Foam Walls for nano tanks. Other than the pollution issue from backwaters, shells collected from the outward facing shores should be safe of pollutants an such.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.

interesting thought. I'm going to be tagging along for some answers on this one... My thoughts are that they probably don't contain enough calcium carbonate to be as effective as a media, and they probably would dissolve very quickly when crushed into a fine media... but that's just my thinking.. i really don't know.

Dont see why you couldnt use them in a wall construction project, id make sure they were very well cleaned first though. I agree with Joel that I dont think they contain enough calcium carbonate to be used as reactor media but you may just have to replace it faster than store bought products. Definately worth experimenting with if no one has tried it before.

I always thought that crushed coral was shells crushed up, and people use it in there reactors all the time. I know i do so how is it any different by location. or were its collected

Crushed coral is exactly that. crushed coral skeletons.. however theres alot of reactor mediums out their that are crushed shells and such. I cant imagine why quahog shells wouldnt contain enough calcium as I would think this would be the primary building blocks of the shells. Im curious as to the limpet shells as well if the would release other important elements found in NSW. As Ive yet to set up a new tank I wont be expeirementing with this for some time yet but would like to get out this weekend an collect a few 5 gallon buckets worth to experiment with this comming winter and find out how this will work out..
Looking to see if any other BRS members in the area have tried this and their results or imput would be appreciated.

Reefer Id be curious to see they rate at which scallop shells would disolve and results they would produce. Would be curious to see if your friend would hold a couple 5 gallon buckets worth.. Your just up the road too..I'm guessing he might be out of New Bedford?

Reefer Id be curious to see they rate at which scallop shells would disolve and results they would produce. Would be curious to see if your friend would hold a couple 5 gallon buckets worth.. Your just up the road too..I'm guessing he might be out of New Bedford?

ya i'll see if they have the room on the boat next time he goes out. he might be out of time on both boats he captains but i'll ask him next time i see hem. hit me with a pm so i can have it to save

Back