Question about Kalk Reactors...

maurod

Non-member
Is it possible to use an open container as a Kalk Reactor?
I was wondering if 2.5, 5, or 10 gal tank with a bulkhead overflow installed and power head that ran 2xaday would work as well as a "sealed" unit...

Any thoughts?
M.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read the container needs to be sealed. If it is open to air it will change the chemical composition over time, or weaken it, or something like that.

The kalk on the surface of an open container will react with the air (I think with the carbon dioxide, but I don't really remember exactly what the reaction was). The substance it makes perhaps isn't great, but I believe Greg has said that it's not really something to be concerned about, as long as you avoid adding it to your tank.

So an open kalk reactor would be fine if you weren't drawing kalk off the top, where the reacted crud sits.

NateHanson said:
The kalk on the surface of an open container will react with the air (I think with the carbon dioxide, but I don't really remember exactly what the reaction was). The substance it makes perhaps isn't great, but I believe Greg has said that it's not really something to be concerned about, as long as you avoid adding it to your tank.

So an open kalk reactor would be fine if you weren't drawing kalk off the top, where the reacted crud sits.

After reading this Nate I remembered something from the lecture yesterday about how Calcium Hyrdoxide binds with the CO2 in the water and raises it's alkalinity.

I guess if the Kalk Reactor was open to air, it would be less effective as it has already bound to CO2 and changed chemically.

M.

What nate said

but I would add, If I remember right the crud on top is bad and I think there is also precipitation that will settle to the bottom so you don't want to add that either, but then again kalk powder will also settle to the bottom so either way you don't want to draw the kalk from the bottom. If you do use an open or semi open container it's best to make small batches frequently, siphon the saturated water from the middle of the container, and wash out the container regularly (after a while it seems more and more worth just buying or building a reactor IMO/IME)

Check out the kalk reactor agent6473 is selling, it's on P2 of the equipment fourm with a pic. I helped build it and I have one just like it that works great.

Back