quick little DIY Skimmer silencer

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
As some of you may know the Solana skimmer is a bit noisy due to the air getting sucked in so I made a little silencer and now you can hear nothing :)

Here's a couple of pictures that are pretty easy to see what I did.

One note, this wasn't my idea I copied it from a thread over at RC :)

Attachments

• IMG_5423.JPG
    IMG_5423.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1,985
  • IMG_5424.JPG
    IMG_5424.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,532
What is that a little paint thing you get at like an art store?

Great idea by the way... I'm gonna have to try that out...

Don't really understand the logistics behind how it works but it definetly muffles the sound.

I bought the little container at Micheals craft store and had some 1/4" tubing around here. Cost me .99 :)

A lot of people are using pill cases or even the old film containers.

it works similar to a muffler, the sound waves generated by the sucking air are reverberated in the chamber and can't easily make it through a length of hose to get out, since the intake is effectively doubled at the other end of the container, there is less than half the noise being made outside the container. It's not actually making it quieter, it's just redirecting the sound long enough for it to be worn out before it exits.

If you want to make it even quieter, you could put a cotton ball in the container. if it's "fluffed" enough so as not to restrict airflow, it'd make the thing dead silent.

...wicked good DIY, wish I had thought of it....I'll have to make one of these when I get a "real" skimmer lol

I wanted to add that I places a cotton ball in there as suggested by a few people and not I can't hear anything :)

Back