Radion mounting help

TheRiver

Formally: The River Reef
So after reading and talking allot about lighting and a fellow reefer giving me a great deal I went big and got a Radion XR30w (gen 3) to put over a Biocube 29g. I went a little too big, I know, but was hopeful to buy this light once in case I upgrade my tank down the road. I figured I can easily run the light low and be fine.

My problem is the mounting arm. It blocks the access to the middle chamber where my Intank accessories (media and fuge rack) are doing my filtration (the don't even fit with the arm attached). Also, the weight of the light and arm is really stressing the thin glass back wall on the Biocube and has me very nervous it will break down the road.

My questions...

1) has anyone mounted a radion 30 with mounting arm on a Biocube? If so, did you have issues accessing the middle chamber and worry about the weight?

Alternatively, I was thinking of mounting the arm to an external piece of aluminum bolted to the rear of the stand coming up just behind the tank... any experience or feedback on this?

I’d probably go with the second option. That light has to be pretty heavy and by chance if someone leans on it might be bad.

Agree, I am looking into an external mounting option today... I needed another project to slow down getting water in my tank :rolleyes:

Back